Leaking Water Pump???

Hi All.

I think i may have a leaking water pump. (thats if where i think it is, is right).

I have recently purchased the car so not really used it much as its a second car. Anyway, the other day after a short run i noticed that the radiator fans seemed to be staying on a little longer than expected, so tonight i went out to the car to check the coolant levels.

On inspection, i removed the expansion cap (plastic yellow one to the right) and this had no visible signs of water.

I then removed the header tank cap (metal cap, left hand side) and that also was very low. I could see water just at the bottom of the tank.

I topped up the header tank and also the expansion bottle and drove to the shop.

When i got back i left it for a bit to cool and then went back out to check the levels.

The expansion bottle was empty and header tank also very low again.

I set about attempting to clear any air locks by topping up the header tank to the brim whilst cold and then warming car up with cap off etc.

I didnt get that far. Everytime i topped up the header tank the water would lower with a glug. I then noticed a trickle of water running from underneath the car. After getting on the floor it looks like water is running down from behind the black cambelt cover then dripping onto the manifold and onto the ground. At this point i can only assume its coming from behind the black plastic cover because i couldnt get under the car far enough to see if this was definitely the case but its defo coming from this area.

So I also assume that the water pump is also behind the black plastic cambelt cover, hence the title.

Any help on this guys would be great. Are my assumptions correct etc?

The water pump is behind the right hand cover and the cover is only held on by 3 x10mm bolts .

Id remove it then have a look around before sennding it to a garage .

the 2 small bore pipes that attach to the water pump tend to perish or kink then leak

Check the black metal pipe that runs from one of the small bore pipes to the oil cooler ,as they're prone to rust.

Also the thermostat housing and bottom rad hose is in that area .

Hope it's a easy fix fella , keep us updated

I'm pretty sure some muppet in the past has put radweld in it too. Inside the header tank is all brown crap on the sides. Looking a little further just it seems to be dripping just to the left of what I think is the thermostat housing. I will get the cover to the water pump off tomorrow night hopefully and hopefully I haven't driven it much in the current state before noticing.

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the pic. It will be a good help. I'm just hoping and praying that I have spotted it in time and I haven't cooked the heat gaskets or worse.

Fingers crossed. I didn't have any bubbles in the expansion bottle when I had topped it all up which I hope is a good sign.

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk