Exhaust issues on my forester

Jammee

Hi guys ,

I'm new to the subaru world so please be gentle.i have recently bought a mint 2001 forester s turbo .the issue started when I noticed the rear box exhaust gasket was blowing so I took the box off and noticed something was up ,the rear box inner pipe diameter was around 50mm and the centre box pipe internal diameter was near 70mm at a guess,so I thought it may of had a wrong rear box so I bought a new one and fitted it and yes you guessed it exactly so same as the first box and was a pig to fit due to the bolt holes not lining up that well(on both boxes) so my problem is I don't know the centre/front pipe I have or what rear box.i Need ?any advice would be really help.many thanks.jamie

Hi Jamie welcome to S.O.C I don't have a Forester myself but if I get chance I will have a look see what I can find out for you. But hopefully someone will be able to help you before :)

Wotcha and welcome - all friendly on this forum ;)

there are also a number of forrester owners who may be able to shed some light on the centre section you have

Sorry about not looking for any more info mate. I was ill yesterday :( But lets say I feel confident that I can now break wind :D .... Anyway moving on have to let us know how you get on mate ;)

Haha no worries pal.i am thinking it has to be a sti or something centre box due to the original rear box not lining up and the bore size of the centre box but it looks very standard on the car if you catch my drift .As i say I'm new to subarus but have always messed with cars. Anyway onward and downward lol :)

You might be right I know some people that have put STI suspension springs on them, so I guess would make sense with the exhaust to have the same done. And you don't go downwards after buying a Subaru just the bank balance with the things you keep wanting to buy to upgrade for the car ;)

• 1 month later...

hi mate I had the same problem I had a small pipe back box so I swapped my impreza stainless on to forester and it is about 5 inch to small...... I know story of my life :rolleyes:. so just be careful that the length is ok for forester as now it's a MOT fail. I forgot to say that I used the cat back off impreza so back box may be ok but just check ;)    

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

Hi, I;m also looking into the exhaust system on my car, I have come across this... The middle pipe is about 3" longer on the forester than that of the impreza, but the s/sl impreza cat back system I ordered will fit. it just needs the rear box hangers moving and a 3" insert made up  to make the length correct.

I did read somewhere that some early impreza mid pipes are the same length as we require.

Let us know how you get on and I'll do the same.

D

• 1 year later...