Clutch fork release

Does anyone know how to release the clutch fork from the thrust bearing? Is it a case of just pushing it towards the rear of the car to pop it off once the slave cylinder is taken off? Or is it more complex?

Does anyone know how to release the clutch fork from the thrust bearing? Is it a case of just pushing it towards the rear of the car to pop it off once the slave cylinder is taken off? Or is it more complex?

On a classics:

It's quite easy when you know how, from the front of the car, on the right hand side of the gear box is a rubber grommet, remove this and you will see a small hole, this is where the bar for the release bearing sits in the gearbox. Use an m6 bolt and screw it in to the thread in the bar. Pull this towards you and the bar will come out the gear box, now pull up the clutch fork and the release bearing will now be free.

I have posted the workshop manual for the classic in this thread http://uk.subaruownersclub.com/forums/topic/41-whats-your-audio-set-up-in-your-suburu/

Can't see it being that much different with the Bugeye. You want page 227.

• Like 2

err i beg to differ on one point. it should not be a grommet it should be a allen key thread in cap that covers the relase fork shaft. all the classics ive worked on have a screw cap. just behind the starter motor. think the bugs are the same set up.

• Like 1

ive just done it on mine, you undo the allen key screw cap from where taffy has said but you need to release the pressure from the fork by undoing the slave cylinder then use a bolt as stated above to screw into the pin and then pull it out.

hope this helps

• Like 1

Yeah your right it's an Allen key that covers the shaft, I was going from memory there and got mixed up with the inspection hole.

who doesn't get mixed up with inspection holes Pete  ;)  ;)