Sorry for the silly newbie question

tking_wrx

I have asked this question on the forum already but j don't think j put it in the right category so here goes, since I changed the oil and fuel filters on my car yesterday and replaced the rear suspension i have had trouble between 4 - 6k, the car dives fine normally but when I put my foot down it feels like the car is hesitating and it keeps backfiring between these revs even whilst driving. Any help is appreciated.

Hi mate, it's a 2001 bugeye, I have checked the plugs and maf sensor and they fine, when j first got the car it had a manual boost controller on so I reconnected it tk the electronic boost controller and put in a restrictor pill so may need to check the pipes where the restrictor pill is located. If the pipe is split would this cause the same problem (air leakage)? Thanks and sorry for rambling

It might be spark plug condition/ gaps or spark plug leads or coil .

As they would give misfire symptom with unburnt fuel causing a backfire .

Vacuum leaks generally cause rough idle /holding back on boost as symptoms .

Have you been using 99 ron fuel all the time ?

As a change in octane can also cause backfiring for a tank or so (until the ecu learns)

Hi, thanks for the replies, I have had the car for about 5 months now and since I have had it I have used 99 Ron unless on the rare occasion where the petrol station has run out and I have had to put a bit of standard petrol in. Sorry for the silly question but can I test if it's the coils/lead breakdown? Thanks

Not silly questions m8 just hope we can help you resolve it, tbo if it's a electrical fault you might be better off getting the ecu codes checked before replacing bits .

I've been mapped for 99 ron fuel , but occasionally have to put lesser octane in to get by . I just don't "give it the beans " until I've filled up with the right stuff .so don't worry too much about that if it's not done on a regular basis with full tanks .

Not knowing to much about your bugeye set up ...

Have you got 4 plug leads from the single black coil pack attached to the inlet manifold ?

If so can you borrow some leads off another mates scoob for a spin round the block ?

Or individual coil packs on top of each spark plug ?

If so check for cracks around the bolt holes that attach them to the spark plugs (as they're prone to cracking if overtightend ) and any arc'ing to the cam covers .

Individual coil packs on each spark plug on newage

Check all the connectors on the coil packs ,check you haven't damaged the coil pack,s whilst changing the plugs ,to be fair if it only started happening since these were changed so go back through your steps ,

Hesitation is usually plugs or leads

Update...so I went to the garage today and got the maf and knock sensor replaced and still no changed then noticed that the tee piece between the turbo, solenoid and actuator had melted so though thus was the problem buy when replacing it the garage do not have the correct pipes fir the tee piece so it's now repaired with reducers all over the place and still feels like it hesitates :(

Hi savage, thanks for the suggestion mate, no o have not tried a ecu reset but I will give it a go 1st thing and hopefully this fixes the problem otherwise it will be the spark plugs and coil packs which will need checking. Thanks again I will let you know tomorrow how it goes

Did the garage check the codes/reset your ecu ?

If you're checking the plugs yourself and it's been miss firing one might be a slight different colour , indicating which cylinder is the issue .

Its also Worth checking their gap and re gapping them slightly under standard .

As boost is known to blow the spark out if they're gapped over size .

All the best and hope it's a cheap fix for you fella

Thanks mate, I have been impatient and disco nested the Battery now so hopefully will find out in about 20 mins or so, no the garage did not plug the car in so no ecu reset mate. I changed the spark plugs about 3 months ago and was advised from eurocarparts that the gap is preset so just put them straight in and it was fine?

No problem fella

Gaps are normally preset but it's advised to gap them a bit smaller if you're running more than 0.8 bar of boost (remapped)

I always check them just in case one's been dropped .

It might be a cracked spark plug or coil pack .

I'd still suggest to take it somewhere where they'll read the codes as this will give the best diagnosis