Looking to buy help please Wrx sti 330s

Sweeney23

I looking at buying a impreza 330s the one on the link below but after reading some posts been put off by the engines going pop. Any advice on is it worth buying a 330s or a different model thanks in advance. Also if got it mapped would that stop the engine going pop or is there different mods as I really want the 330s but don't want to buy if it is not reliable

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201406024673982/sort/atcustom/advert-type/Classified/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/model/impreza/usedcars/make/subaru/radius/1500/keywords/330s/page/1/postcode/g729he/quicksearch/true?logcode=p

Ringland failure is what you are talking about and I personally haven't had any issues with my type UK. As long the as car is standard and it has been looked after with regular servicing then there shouldn't be any problems.

Ringland failure can be caused by modding without an appropriate map, poor servicing, ragging the nuts off the car, too much power on standard internals.

If you do buy the car then you can get someone like Jolly Green Monster or Andy Forrest to check the map for you.

Any power mods you do really should be mapped, you can change the panel filter without mapping the car :D

As for the car you are looking at do all the usual checks you would do. Also have a look at the service history in detail check it was serviced at proper intervals or mileage.

Make sure you test the car in all of the SI modes. i, sport and sport#. With the mileage it has you shouldn't really have any mechanical issues. Check for wear on the front tyres use this as a barging tool if they are low.

That's about all I can think off.

The STI hatch came in 3 versions.

Basicly:

WRX STI 300bhp. Standard STI

WRX STI Type UK. standard STI with dealer fit PPP (Prodrive performance pack). Remap to 330bhp, Prodrive cat back exhaust. Will have accompanying certificate.

WRX STI 330S. Factory badged 330s, 330bhp, recaro seats, push button start, factory fit Sat nav.

The 330s and Type UK had an updated map to address the ringland failure which was happing with the standard model WRX STI's.

The STI hatch came in 3 versions.

Basicly:

WRX STI 300bhp. Standard STI

WRX STI Type UK. standard STI with dealer fit PPP (Prodrive performance pack). Remap to 330bhp, Prodrive cat back exhaust. Will have accompanying certificate.

WRX STI 330S. Factory badged 330s, 330bhp, recaro seats, push button start, factory fit Sat nav.

The 330s and Type UK had an updated map to address the ringland failure which was happing with the standard model WRX STI's.

So 330s don't have pro drive exhaust

I beg to differ on Pete on the type UK thing.

As far as I'm aware and asking friends they say the same, all the STi's sold via main UK dealers are Type UK, Its stems back to the first STi's being sold at dealers (STi 7's) they were called type uk, to set them apart from the imports.

Now back to the 330s,

std power listed is 325bhp with 347lb/t

Mine with a ProR air filter got 319.4bhp with 359lb/t :) back in March at SC.

330s has as standard over a normal STI

Factory fit rear Tints

heated front windscreen element to heat the wiperblades! :wow:

keyless entry

push button start

18" Lustric alloys (spelling??)

Prodrive rear Stainless steel Back Box.

Recaro seats

SatNav/DVD head unit.

also the prodrive power ugrade.

and not forgetting the Kudos of being one of only about 200 cars registered as a 330s ;)

14652718681_003a4c870c_b.jpgGarage Racers-32a by salsa-king, on Flickr

be watchful, as Euro Import STi's were the same spec as a 330s with the recaros/keyless etc

so check the car you think is a 330s isn't an import!

Also, some dealers called the STi with PPP a 320r (or 330r can't remember now) and had badges fitted to the rear.

these aren't offical cars, also PPP is classed as a modification, so the insurance listings will show a STi and the 330s. anything inbetween in a modified car and will either put some insurers off insuring or just put a higher price on your insurance premium. Ring round!

BTW, even on the 330s, Front Fog lights, STi front lip spoiler and the rear alloy exhaust trims didn't come as standard fitment, they were optional extras.

• Like 1

The debate goes on - I contacted Subaru about the Type Uk when I was first buying mine due to all the different opinions, I was advised as Pete said it was a dealer STI fitted PPP upgrade and a model in its own right so insurance wasn't impacted as its a dealer car - This model is also referenced on the Subaru Impreza Wikipedia page

Either way you are not getting a bad motor - the standard STI is easily upgraded, the 330s has all the good stuff plus some nice tweaks. Feedback I had from friends I let out in mine who had owned previous Imprezas was the steering was not as sharp, this has been sorted with the new Impreza but can be addressed with kits from people like Litchfield