Legacy - it was all going so well!

scroller

Hi all, I finally found the Legacy I've wanted for some time. A white 05 manual BP5. That was 5 days ago. On its second trip around the M25 disaster struck. Almost certainly cambelt failure - to be confirmed today with subsequent damage report. No ones fault, the vendor changed the belt before purchase so possibly a faulty part or other very unusual reason. 

So .....fantastic car in great condition now awaiting repair. Can anyone help with a workshop manual and a parts list as the garage doing the work needs help with this info?  

Oh not good news mate sorry to hear that, but welcome to S.O.C 

Unfortunately I only have up to 2000 sorry not sure if anyone else might be able to help. I'm shocked the garage needs the info though that would make me worry a little bit 

Initial exam shows cam belt ok so unclear what the problem is until closer look. Problem started with knocking from engine bay which got louder over 10 mile journey until car cut out completely. Engine turned over but would not start. When recovery tried, engine sounded as if it was spinning and cam belt failure was suspected.    

Well ....some fairly major and depressing developments in the 4 days in which I have owned the car. Nothing as simple as cambelt failure I'm afraid - one of the big ends has gone probably twisting the Shell bearing and virtually seizing the engine. So, we either attempt a rebuild, source a replacement motor, take the purchase price back and look again or, as the seller has a second identical car for sale, take that and allow him to repair the first car at his leisure. After discussions with him, my garage and the keeper of the family purse the last option seems best. We appear to have been exceptionally unlucky as we have had 3 previous Subarus of different types with no major mechanical issues. We are going to look at and test drive the second car this w/e so if all is well the swap should take place next week. Wish me luck -I think it's deserved!

• Like 1

Glad it's not put you off - fingers crossed that one was built on a Friday and good luck with the test-drive of #2. Maybe it's fate..........?

Sent from my ageing Galaxy S2 - Yes, it is still working.

Alliance ROM w/ Tesla engine.

• Like 1