hello

stants

Hello everyone,

I've joined as a future owner i thouht i'd get on here soak up as much info as possible before buying,

Family needs are forcing me to get rid of the hairdresser mobile and buy something a bit more practical :(

So once mine is sold i'm hoping to buy a forester, looking a a few at the mo a couple have caught my eye an 01 s turbo for starters, my budget isn't going to be massive up to 2k i think. If anyone has buying info pointers what to look out for etc or links to threads would be a massive help. And if you may be able to answer a few questions for a start ?

The car i'm going to view this week has jus under 100000 on it and has just had all belts changed at last service, should i expect major expense to outlay on servicing if this has been done already ? How bulletproof is everything ? Turbos etc .

Thanks again and sorry for all the stupid questions i'm doing this from workon me phone and the search function won't work

Wotcha and welcome - no such thing a daft question particularly if you are just getting involved with something.

Having had the belts changed is a good thing, the engine should be good for another 100,000 if there is a consistent service history, you will need a new exhaust and turbo rebuild at some point but with a view to keeping the car for a while you could go for a stainless steel option with a lifetime guarantee. The turbo build will vary dependant on type, some have bearing rollers which whilst the offer better operation and last longer are more expensive in the first place.

On eBay for example there is a unit from a breaker for £80 or a brand new standard replacement for £500 or you could have your own rebuilt for about £350.

Main bearings can go if the shaft has not been properly aligned during manufacture but seeing as yours has done 100k just check for a noisy idle. There are a couple of video links on this site to engines that have had bearings fail on them so you know what to listen for.

Check for rust on rear wheel arches. milky coloured oil, clunking of bearings when on full lock and turning, tyre tread depth, all electrical things functioning.

As other come on line I'm sure they will provide additional info

thanks for the warm welcome. the sale of my mx5 fell through so i'm still looking. it really is a toss up between a n/a old shape impreza waggon and a t/forester. unexpected baby news means what ever i get has to be large ish. safe and not too fast (her words)

the forester has more of an understated q car look and the misses won't be any the wiser haha

Congratulations :P

in all honesty either of those models is a good choice, if you can run to a newer model with a 2.5 turbo that has more lower down torque which gives a very civilised drive - also we have managed no problem with a hatchback and I know people who manage with kids and the saloon.

Why not try driving each of the models, imp saloon, wagon and forester to see which suits - when it comes to kiddies obviously safety is paramount so the wider track and bigger brakes of the STI aiding stability and stopping with confidence are clearly a requirement  ;)

Congratulations on the unexpected news :)

I agree with Jay both good choice I would also look at the Legacy. All 3 can be not to fast in her words ;) if you quickly change up the gears :D

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wotcha and welcome - no such thing a daft question particularly if you are just getting involved with something.

Having had the belts changed is a good thing, the engine should be good for another 100,000 if there is a consistent service history, you will need a new exhaust and turbo rebuild at some point but with a view to keeping the car for a while you could go for a stainless steel option with a lifetime guarantee. The turbo build will vary dependant on type, some have bearing rollers which whilst the offer better operation and last longer are more expensive in the first place.

On ebay for example there is a unit from a breaker for £80 or a brand new standard replacement for £500 or you could have your own rebuilt for about £350.

Main bearings can go if the shaft has not been properly aligned during manufacture but seeing as yours has done 100k just check for a noisy idle. There are a couple of video links on this site to engines that have had bearings fail on them so you know what to listen for.

Check for rust on rear wheel arches. milky coloured oil, clunking of bearings when on full lock and turning, tyre tread depth, all electrical things functioning.

As other come on line I'm sure they will provide additional info

i did, thanks all for the welcome. bit of a nightmare with insurance(company had it down as a gls when the doc's came through) even though over the phone they quoted me a s/tb grrr ! but all sorted and wallet's even more empty. 500 mile round trip to collect yesterday and a return of nearly 30mpg :)

Not bad MPG and good choice with the forester. :)

Should have tried our insurance see if it was any cheaper as you get discount from being a club member :) but least you are sorted now. Just need to get it cleaned up and some pictures on :D

i didn't think of the club insurance, ! i didn't know if needed to be a paid up member to benefit (once payday comes i'll sort that) 

next thing on the list is a full service, i'm thinking of taking it to sheffield subaru srevice, anyone use them ?

secondly are there any tell tail signs that the turbo's on it's way out ? i'm only using v power at the mo so don't know if that's cleaning out the crap it looks like the car has been sat for a couple of months so I've seen a little condensation, but no blue or oily smelling smoke and it ran fine on the way home yesterday,

Finally before i rip all the interior trim out from the rear can anyone tell me why when i use the rear screen wash it comes in through the n/s rear speaker grille ?  a common problem or just a loose connection anywhere 

the site is free - no fees just set up a profile as you have done then use the discounts from the section

sounds like a pipe disconnected or broken - should be an easy fix