TIMING BELT HELP PLEASE

bigben143

hI all

I have done the timing belt today on my wrx 52 plate, I timed it all up all the markings matched....pulled the pin and rotated a couple of times...but the pullys on drivers side markings seem to be slightly off set and I mean the 2 marks facing each other, they are more or less lined up just off a tad.. is this normal?

Did you replace the pullies and tensioner?

If not then there is some slack in the tensioner which puts the teeth off slightly.

As Savage said ut could be ok, however I would rather replace the tensioner and pullies as it much cheaper than a rebuild if all goes wrong.

Well kind of can be not completely in line but look close & see if think moving one tooth would make better or worse.

This sort of issue is why I recommend the home mechanic to mark old belt tooth to pulleys (marker pen) & transfer markings to new belt as makes it almost impossible ***** up & gives more confidence job jobbed right ...

Certainly worth checking bit more by checking tension seems tight enough & rotate engine few times to help settle it more ...

• Like 1

Thanks for all replies....I have sorted it now, all tensioners have been changed along with water pump n thermostat....when it's not tensioned it all lines up as soon as I pull the pin it slightly of set so I flicked the key all good!!

Just to let you know Mr b I'm not a home mechanic, I am a tech n a engineer in my field....just never played with the jap toys always been friends with De Germanz :) .....the Scooby has been a pleasure to work on so nice and easy to remove stuff....my next job is the clutch... just getting prepared for a De cat and custom remap, it's meant to be my daily lol

• Like 1

I used new subaru rollers/hydraulic tensioner and the gates kevlar timing belt which is pre marked with cam and crank positions .

Set it up with the marks spot on after a few rotations marks on the belt moved way out but the pulleys were still within half a tooth [emoji15]

I assumed that was to do with the lay out of the rollers, water pump and tensioner mabey using more teeth between either left and right bank and the crank [emoji6]

Recently had the cam covers off to check over the engine while it was out and pulley marks are still that half a tooth out on the drivers side belt marks were miles out .

I agree with mr b It's good practice mark the old belt before removal in case of discrepancies on assembly or part supplied and rotate the engine a few more times .

To make sure the pulley marks stay within half a tooth

Yes pre marked belts or marking your own belt plus pulleys will go out of sequence of marks once engine rotated as belt length is not equal to pulley rotation but they make it almost fool proof to go wrong in initial assembly.

I use this trick a lot on cars such as Pug 206 HDI were belt access is awful along with viewing angle to pulleys as allows you get belt on all pulleys in right place first go.

The Dayco belts come pre marked & are part of same japanese company doing Subaru OEM belts, you can get these complete with all OEM bearing pulleys/tensioner for sensible money.

alignment marks tend to be 2mm or like you say looks about half a tooth out but that the norm on many cars not just Subaru.

Subaru are generally a pleasure to work on & make french & german cars look an engineering shambles in many basic maintenance work.

Clutch is not a hard job & think you will enjoy the pleasure of observing good engineering when pulling & refitting the gearbox.