Legacy? Outback? Forester? Petrol / diesel?

sandspider

For manual Outback you would need go to the 2.5 version to find a reasonable amount.

Once you know exactly what you want it worth expanding search range as normally the best examples are never on your doorstep until you already own one.

I think your idea of getting a stop gap runabout is ideal, then you can find exactly what you want with no urgency forcing your hand.

The auto box is really nice but I do really like manuals myself plus fuel consumption & tax increases is something I like play safe with so a 2.5 manual would be the one to interest me.

Cheers Mr B. I was slightly put off the 2.5 by the cambelt changes - not the end of the world, but pricey when it needs to be done. I also though that the 2.5 was noticeably less powerful than the 3.0, and had only slightly better fuel consumption? That's why I was leaning towards the 3.0l, but I would look at either - ideally I'd like to test both. I've always been a manual man too - never had an auto. But the tiptronic might be acceptable, with full auto mode for long lazy drives. I also understand that modern autos are almost as good (or even better in some cases) than manuals off road...

Sorry to disagree with our Dave but Outbacks do come in manual......not easy to find as most are auto but if you keep looking you`ll find one.

Edit: Sorry to disagree with myself but I think Dave could be right about the 3.0, I just saw the "All Outbacks are auto" bit.

:)

I'll let you off this time mate [emoji14]

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Cheers Mr B. I was slightly put off the 2.5 by the cambelt changes - not the end of the world, but pricey when it needs to be done. I also though that the 2.5 was noticeably less powerful than the 3.0, and had only slightly better fuel consumption? That's why I was leaning towards the 3.0l, but I would look at either - ideally I'd like to test both. I've always been a manual man too - never had an auto. But the tiptronic might be acceptable, with full auto mode for long lazy drives. I also understand that modern autos are almost as good (or even better in some cases) than manuals off road...

Cambelt quite expensive but not something you going be doing frequently & haggling point when buying if near needing it done.

Decent independents can do the job for £400 tops with genuine pulleys & tensioner, decent jap water pump & belt matching OEM quality.

Auto options are good & certainly fine for off-road scenarios you likely do with an outback. I have used both 2.5 & 3.0 outbacks & for my driving which was mainly rural use the 2.5 manual did return more acceptable economy.

Really depends on your use, annual mileage & how happy you are to pay a little extra for the 3.0L performance. Very much a personal preference that needs be made by you.

Test drive some more models & see where it takes you :-)

My 2.5 auto is doing beween 27-30 mpg depending whether my wife or me is driving.

She drives it boggo standard auto and gets 30mpg whereas I use sport mode or tip tronic as I like a bit more control and get 27mpg which I dont think is too bad for a big permanent four wheel drive estate car.

Its not as quick as the 3.0 or turbo models but its still no slouch.