Nom after some advice

Gambit

Slight change of direction..... thinking of going to have a look at this on Thursday!

http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/subaru/legacy/subaru-legacy-gtb-twin-turbo-estate/3055665

I know nothing about them, other than that they were grey imports.. anyone got any advice on things to look for on these?

Thanks

Just posting this on behalf of Nom :) 

Thanks Gambit...

Planning on checking out this car on Thursday morning, unless anyone tells me why I shouldn't!! I.e. Its bonkers money for car, or known big issues with particular model..etc etc...

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

Just asked a mate of mine he is on this forum so not sure why he's not replied himself but this is what he's put :D

Well, that's as good-an-example if he wants a Leggy. It's got the very nice auto-box (which they were designed for primarily instead of manual) so it'll have the tip-tronic/push button on steering wheel too. Good that it's a GTB so it has the additional Billies and slightly more power.

It's a good price for that kind of mikleage but history needs to be checked to see when and who imported it and what it came into the country like. Was it converted here etc and all the other associated bumpf. It should boost nicely on primary and then go like stink once the secondary kicks in around 4000rpm. There will be some VOD (flat-spot during changeover) but it'll be hardly noticeable as it's an auto and they're tuned for it The drive is more refined than the Impreza's or earlier Legacy's.

And I'm not trying to push anyone away or towards other forums more so when I'd like to see this one become a good sized club with a wide range of all Subaru models. But might be worth signing up on UK Legacies forum I know most of our members on here also are on there. They have made me feel welcome on there to post about my local meets too so good bunch like here. :) and other than me I know people do join multiple clubs. But just remember us when we're doing any events :D I'm going to have a word with the UK Legacy guys anyway about posting events on there that they aren't going to and see if they want to do the same here. If that would work or not I don't know :)

Wasnt TLag selling his Leggy TT a while back? might be worth touching base with him as that was a nice example with a known maintenance plan and good money... here is the original ad

http://uk.subaruownersclub.com/forums/topic/7560-subaru-legacy-gtb-twin-turbo-prodrive/

The GTB will be as reliable as an Impreza, being JDM it will need to be ran on 99 octane fuel. The auto does seem slower than the manuals although it's actually about the same, it's just more refined and dosnt make as much fuss about getting there.

The best advice I can give is take it for a drive and see what you think.

The one I had for sale sold pretty quick but wasn't as new as that one

• Like 1

Thanks all.... Appreciate the input.

I read somewhere that auto boxes on these often need a rebuild between 80-120k miles? I'm sure it's dependent on how it's been treated, but has anyone had experience of this?

The auto actually sounds appealing. Lazy boosting!

I have to say, I've been around Legacies (mainly JDM twin turbo ones) for almost 10 yrs and I've never heard about any gearbox problems on normal use.

If you are doing something special with it like track work or towing a heavy load, it's worth having a separate gearbox oil cooler, but other than that, they are ok. They do have gearbox oil cooler built in to the rad but it's not the biggest. Fine for normal use though.

• Like 1