safe boost

aucky

Hi guys, when I got my blobeye wrx it was boosting at 20 +22 psi and had a real nice kick when you put foot down.The other day I was checking my car over and found the pipe to the waste gate was split, so I replaced it with a new pipe, now it only boost to 10 psi with no exciting kick.I'v read on the Internet that is normal amount but it now feels like when it hits full boost 10 psi it's being held back and could do more, so I have bought a manual boost control and when it is dialed up it hits 20 psi again.what I want to no is is this safe or will it blow something and what boost does everyone else run on their car.

Mine runs 1.4/1.5 bar - which is about 20psi. But it was mapped to that by a professional with supporting mods. I've not heard good things about manual boost controllers but that may just be people putting them way too high.

Just make sure your other parts are up to the task before you do anything like that though - fuelling especially. I'd say it'd need STi injectors and a new fuel pump at least. Somebody else will hopefully be able to give you a more definite answer on whether it's safe to use the controller though.

At the min my car only has back box, front intercooler and induction kit fitted badly by the last owner, sorted them out now, someone told me he may have cut that pipe as a quick boch job to stop the wastegate cutting boost off, I was going to just turn it up to about 14 +15 psi with the controller till I get to a remap on my list and my finances can afford it.

It is generally agreed that the safe maximum for a standard engine in 1.4 bar. Anything more than that and you will put too much load on the internals and you risk failure of the main bearings or, on older cars, the head gaskets.

i wouldnt use one! you will have so much DET on the pistons they will be eating away at the lining..... My mate did this to his punto GT years ago! was a rocket then BANG!!

1.4 bar on a unforged engine is fine, if its mapped correctly for fueling. You are running the risk of the car running lean and starving the engine

• Like 1

I have to agree, the only way to get extra boost safely is to remap the car. In theory the ECU will read the boost pressure with the MAP sensor and adjust the fuelling to match, but by using an after-market boost controller you are bypassing the boost limit so there is a good change you will just confuse things. Also, as Matt said, you will have no way on knowing if the extra boost is causing pre-detonation, and that can cause huge damage. 

• Like 1

I fitted a digital manual boost controller disconnected it soon after after reading people destroying the cars with them. I know a guy near me kept messing with his doing something with the pill or wastegate killed both scoobs off he had :( I agree getting it mapped is really the only true and safeway 

Is their anyway I can find out if car has had a remap without taking it to be remapt, I not had car long the gsrage said last guy had it done but no dino sheet to prove it.and if I had it remap then changed the exhaust as it onky has peformance back box at min, would it need a remap again, would I be best to wait to remap it till I have done all mods for peformace.

Is their anyway I can find out if car has had a remap without taking it to be remapt, I not had car long the gsrage said last guy had it done but no dino sheet to prove it.and if I had it remap then changed the exhaust as it onky has peformance back box at min, would it need a remap again, would I be best to wait to remap it till I have done all mods for peformace.

Proberly a dyno would give you a result

Most mappers up the boost during a remap so if it's running stock boost it's probably not been remapped already.

If it's got a standard ecu the most common software used on a blobeye would be ecutek so if it has been mapped you should have paperwork , as you need to buy a ecutek "licence" in order to use their software to change the parameters on the standard ecu .

I'm not a fan of manual boost controllers unless set up by the mapper whilst he's tweeking the fuelling , ignition timing and wastegate control during a remap .

Even then I wouldn't use the controller to turn the boost up (as it would be set up for max safe boost during the remap )

But just to turn the boost down for every day /long distance driving .

Imo get a few mods together and fit those just before you're booked in for a remap

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to bring this back up again, I've noticed mine has started boosting up to 1.8bar when I fully put my foot down! Only does it for a second before dropping back down to 1.4 bar.

Any ideas? Or could it be just how it's mapped with the mods - Harvey smith up pipe with full decat 3" exhaust in particular. It's always boosted a bit higher when first putting foot down but Martin said not to worry about it. Not notice it that high before. Also doesn't go high if I keep speed up when changing gear or if I do launch control. Just seems odd. May even be my gauge lol.

Either way I've stopped driving it hard for now. Will take it to Martin to have a look when I next get time, unless you lot have any ideas.

Im on std boost ive never touched it and I wont.I have used a manual boost controller before on the lowest setting and I could control it as well so it never spiked.How ever its going to be mapped in Janaury hopefully for some nice results