diesel partiticulate filter

I have a 59 plate outback 2.0sen.  I've got the DPF light flashing along with the engine light, parking brake & stability mode lights on. I had no warning they just all appeared. The only thing I noticed was that the turbo was lagging since I came back from having it serviced a month ago.

I have an OBD reader but it will not clear the codes. I don't have a Subaru agent here (I'm on Orkney) & no-one is expert with them here at the local garages.

Do I have to take it to a dealer or is there something I can do or buy to cure it.

thanks

I am no expert but when I was looking at buying my diesel I did some research I saw something about this that was to do with glow plugs on the earlier euro diesels. Best bet is to contact your local dealers and get their suggestions, if you search glow plugs on here I think you'll find something about it, certainly will on the internet as it seemed to be quite a well known issue.

• 8 months later...

What was the root cause of the dpf getting blocked?  until you find this then the problem will just come back.

Are they using the correct oil in servicing?  are they resetting the oil dilution and making sure the pak files are upto date? have they carried out injector and fuel pump relearn?

What is the driving style of the vehicle?  is the intercooler hose which attaches onto the right hand side of the intercooler ok, these have split and allow extra air and lack of performance and the car cannot carry out the full regen cycle?

The dpf is a non moving part so something has caused it to block

Alex

On the Kia forums, there is plenty of info about DPF problems. Seems that low mileage or short journeys, when the engine does not get properly hot, is the main cause of DPF blockage. When I part exed my C4 for the Kia, the salesman put me off a diesel, as I was doing too low a mileage, and they did not want me turning up with a blocked DPF too often!!!.

Not sure how many miles a day you can do on Orkney, but modern diesels don't run as well as old diesel pick ups and Land Rovers, if you do low mileage.

My wife does about 25 miles to work in heavy traffic, once a week we swap cars and I belt it up the motorway. Run it in 3rd gear at about 50mph for 15mins as apparently this will force a regen if one is needed. Cars done 36,000 dpf light hasn't come on and service have never had to regen it.

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

My wife does about 25 miles to work in heavy traffic, once a week we swap cars and I belt it up the motorway. Run it in 3rd gear at about 50mph for 15mins as apparently this will force a regen if one is needed. Cars done 36,000 dpf light hasn't come on and service have never had to regen it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's exactly what you need if doing regular short journeys...a good regular blast [emoji106]

Here are a couple of links that might be useful if anyone else has this issue.

First one describes someone's hassles and shows it was sorted under warranty (mines finished unfortunately...)

2nd one is a tech note from Subaru Australia, describes flow charts and diagnostics etc as well as a last ditch way to solve, and other tech info.

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/subaru-outback-dpf-fault/1217936

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/attachments/gen-3-2005-2009/19290d1301087520-dpf-subaru_dpf_workshop_advice.pdf

If mines truly knackered, the main issue I have is that I didn't get a proper warning. On Thursday the DPF light came on (indicating 85%blocked), on Friday I was going to do a long run to try and clear it but the light was flashing ( indicating 100% blocked), then 5 mins later the other lights came on (indicating 135% blocked and in limp home mode!).

Hopefully that all indicates a sensor problem?

That sounds like something either went catastrophically wrong or a sensor/computer problem. If you sit it at 50mph on 3rd for 15mins as soon as the first light comes on it should clear it. You need to do this as soon as the light comes on.

I don't mean to sound anti diesel but unless they are used for long distance work and the odd hard throttle now and then legislation has killed all benefits of the Diesel engine, ie fuel economy etc. it's a common fault on all forums not just Subaru since dpf's were introduced

You just have to drive them differently to they way you used to. Give it a good blast once I a while and it's fine. I've had loads of diesels all with particulate filters and because we're careful to make sure they get a chance to regen every now and then we've had no problems with them.

I got no warning at all on my car, just all lights coming on at once & into limp mode. I bought it second hand with high mileage so no idea how it had been driven before. I was unaware of what the dpf was before this.

Now that I've had mine replaced how often should I drive at 50mph in 3rd to ensure I don't get any problems. As I live on an island its almost impossible to drive at constant high speed for more than 5 miles without having to change gear & slow down. If I change gear & the revs drop does this cancel the procedure?

Can it be done stationary instead, just sit in it with foot on throttle?

any advice welcome as I can't afford another dpf & selling th car after spending all that money on it seems silly.

Not sure how you're going to do that, but what you need to do is drive it till it gets hot then drive it fir long enough so that it completes the regen cycle. On a 5 mile island you're going to struggle unless you can go round on a loop but you say you have to slow down etc. I'm not sure how sensitive the dpf is to interruptions. I know the forced regen they do in the garage is static so I guess you possibly could do it but I'm not sure what you'd have to do. I'm sure one of the mechanics on here could give you advice. In reality, if you live on a small island you need to switch to a petrol because I'm not sure can get away from the dpf issue.

Thankfully mine seems fixed (for now). The garage did a forced regen which took the blockage reading from 115% to 5%! Still a bit baffled that it got to 115% without previous warnings, but I'll worry about that if it happens again. All for less than £50. Phew!