bad mpg :-(

Dug

is any one getting bad mpg with winter diesel fuel or is it just my car??

last year I was getting 50mpg average during the summer months, for the last month and a half I am down to 40-42

I have tried changing up as soon as indicator flashes and driving real steady still bad figures

no matter how I drive it  :-(

heating on or off no change

last weekend I did a 130 mile trip 70 mile on m/way rest A  roads  @ 45-55mph and returned 41.8mpg

car runs fine but what could it be??

any thoughts?

• 2 weeks later...

not sure why this is, we've two XVs in the household and both are still running around the 50-55 mark. I would suggest there's another issue.

I drive with may car on auto on the aircon, but that should affect it much.

things that can affect mpg this much tend to be mechanical a dragging brake caliper which is putting resistance, any evidence of smells?

winter fuel shouldn't make much difference as I understand. do you use band fuel or supermarket. Brand fuels remain the same levels but supermarket and local fuel suppliers buy there fuel from wherever so whilst you're going to the same garage it may not be the same quality of fuel as last month if they've changed supplier. I only use Shell standard diesel (XV doesn't seem to like the Nitro, makes the throttle a bit twitchy).

might be worth talking to your local subaru garage if its under warranty or anything

But this issue only seems to be with your car, as I said I have two and we've only noticed a very slight drop of one or two mpg, which is quite normal. You've had a 20% drop according to your post

. Something not quite right?

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

It's normal for it to drop in winter. I'm down from 27 to 24 recently as the engine does use more fuel in the cold weather. Also you always get some variation as the journeys driven from one tank to the next are never the same.

I wouldn't worry personally

• Like 1

car has done 14k and had a service at 8k and runs fine , no sticking brakes

last few days been getting 45 mpg so I guess its just winter and cold engine for longer

dogconker cant believe you get this mileage all the time you must do longer runs than me lol

I generally hit around 55, 79mpg was a proof of concept. It's called hypermiling. 60mph on cruise control on a long motorway run, find a lorry doing about 60 and tuck in behind, only use the cruise controls to speed up and slow down and maintain about 3 car lengths behind the lorry. Not saying this is the right way to drive only that it's fuel efficient. Saves about 30% if you draft, you still save 15% if you're 50m behind amazingly.

Don't brake and don't use the throttle.

Can't drive like that all the time as it's hard work and not much fun. Some people even tape up door seams on doors they don't use to improve aerodynamics [emoji15]

• Like 1