new impreza owner.... regretably

bambam

hi all, bought my first impreza about a month ago and has been a massive headache ever since, its a 95 uk turbo 2000 it has a td05 turbo, manual aftermarket boost controller and was told it is running 1.1 bar of boost, however not long after i got it i lost boost and have not yet located a leak, i found that the factory boost controller had bean bypassed and not knowing much about subarus and modding them i plumbed it back in how it was ment to be, i took  it out and 3,500 revs come with a massive backfire and i nearly went through the windscreen, i put the aftermarket unit back on as was when i first got it but the car still has the problem now i all gears jerks and backfires, does anyone have any idea what could have been damaged to cause this??? and possibe ways to fix it

cheers :)

Unfortunately it Sound's like the previous owner just bolted on a bigger tdo5 and turned the boost up with the manual controller (uk turbo's should have a tdo4) without mapping it .

If that is the case the oe map fuelling would be set up for the smaller turbo and is probably retarding the timing and using the fuel cut to try to stop any damage .

Have you done a self code check ?

Do you know what ecu is in it and if it's been mapped ?

Hi mate welcome to S.O.C 

Also sorry to hear about your experience not completely uncommon with these types of cars to have an amauter with no experiance mess about with them and course problems. I have a manuela boost controler I had it in the car 2 weeks never used it and disconnected it after reading horror stories about the damage they do if you don't know what you're doing. Savage is !Removed! good with the knowledge on classics like your's and agree with him  :)

Cheers :) ill start with saying it boosted and went like the clappers when i first got it, me and a mate both have obd2 and about 4 diffrent programs and none of wich could read the ecu, im unsure what ecu is in it and the preveous owner told me it has been remapped but there agean he told me it was a nice car :-/ the car overheated didnt drop all its water or out like that but got hot thsts when im sure i lost me boost. And also it ran a little jurkey one day after i atempted to clean the maf sensor (instruction from another forum)

Classics have a self code read function (much like the gm paperclip test ) connect some plugs together under the dash there's a how to on here somewhere

The ecu is Under Passenger side front carpet behind a kick pannel what's the number code sticker on the ecu ?

If it is a subaru ecu (not aftermarket) it would need to have a esl daughter board fitted in order to be remapped , the only way to find out is to unplug the ecu , take the cover off and look for a circuit board with esl 93/96 printed on it

Does it even backfire when off boost and you gradually build the Rev's up or is it just on full throttle ?

• Like 1

yeah the car is confused i bet, the ecu is telling the turbo one thing but its isnt gettin the right fuel/air mixture 

If its not got a daughter board on 

1. Remove Td05 and stick TD04 on (can be had cheaply)

2. Remove boost controller 

3. Install a boost gauge check your hitting 0.8-0.9 bar of boost

OR

Remove boost control valve

Get a daughter board fitted

get a remap

• Like 2

Hi all me agean :) i did a fault code test and sat idle there was nothin however when i took it for a drive to try reset the ecu it brought up code 43 accel pedal switch.... then on the same run i made it jerk and whatnot and the code then changed to number 12 starter signal???? :-S i have not had time yet to look at the ecu itself hopefully ill get chance tomorrow

I think 7d is the standard ecu for your age uk turbo you but it still could be mapped if it has a esl or alcertek ecu board in it .

Although I do doubt that it has been mapped due to it having a manual boost controller .

The standard injectors should be grey 380's for that year and ecu .

electrics aren't my forte unfortunately but maybe check all earths /plugs are clean under the bonnet .

Also check there's no break in the insulation on the wiring especially near the starter motor and throttle position sensor (black sensor on the throttle body) .As this tells the ecu the position of the throttle and adjusts the fuelling to suit throttle position .

Here's a pic of a early esl'd ecu so you can check if it's been mapped or can be remapped

post-1399-142079910394_thumb.jpg

Not much in it cost wise tbh

Second hand Apexi ecu and controller £350 ,fit and map £250(ish)

Esl'd daughter board supplied, fitted and mapped £600 .

There's a few pros n cons with both types I was quite happy with my old esl'd v3 ,I'm now currently running a apexi set up on my v1sti which I can't fault either .

Well after unpluggin my ecu i took my car out and thort id try my luck and see if it was still backfiring and instead of doin that it actually boosted at about 4grand!! After doin it a couple of times im sure i felt it trying so splutter agean :( but i supose its a good thing it boosted, my mechanic thinks my headgasket may have gone :( booo