ECU HELP

Ok so ihave just bought a classic impreza wrx, I ws told it was running about 260bhp and full 3inch decat, apexi induction kit. I removed the panel to see what ecu it had in. The box said Z4 but i noticed a HKS fuel cut defended surely it wouldnt need this on the z4 ecu? anyway i can check if it is a z4 ecu or if its been mapped/chipped?

cheers in advance Mike

Z4 ecu was for a early wrx which had 260 hp standard .

Some people do fit a fuel cut defender when using manual boost controllers to allow it to run more boost without hitting fuel cut .

A esl daughter board could be fitted and would be easy to spot with the ecu "case" removed

Looks a bit like this depending on version

post-1399-142291716244_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

I would've said it's standard as the esl board is quite large and distinctive but subaru standard ecus normally have a letter and a number (6s , sa, z4 ..... ect) on the casing .

Have you googled the info on the sticker ?

It might be chipped or be a aftermarket ecu , although I've not heard of the funny tech factory before .

Simtek

Apexi

Gems

Esl

Syvecs

Are about the only mappable options I'm aware work on the early classics .

The casing does have Z4 on the casing, there is a chip, however picture is not clear enough to read the writing on it. I am picking it up from my mechanics tomorrow so will take a closer look tomorrow.

Should i run higher octane fuel, will it benifit the vehicl?

Always run the high octane with a jdm ,unless it's been remapped for uk fuel, as their mapped from the factory to use hi octane .

They're are "chips" which are a generic map with higher boost and more aggressive cam timing , like a "mines" ecu chip but imo you can't beat a bespoke remap

• 3 weeks later...

Hi im a newbie just bought a 99 wrx few wks ago iv been driving it sensibly untill fri arvs after work .I start her and warmed her up then took of flat out in first gear just as I hit around 5000 rpm it choked big time so I backed off and pop it into 2nd gear I then proceeded to drive on slowly progresing through the gears it drove as norm until I tryed even in a higher gear to put my foot down a bit it would completely cut out again ??? I noticed savage bulldogs mention something about fuel cut out is this maybe whats going on ?? I love this car im !Removed! myself iv done some serious damage . Any suggestions appreciated untill I have her looked at

Hi mate no no boost gauge only other mods I can see are a big fat exhaust system . Iv been driving it sensibly till I have a mech look at it and explain a few things about the boost untill I went and had a dumb brain moment and give it some curry :/ so tempting though .

Ah ok . Iv got it booked in tommorow hopefully I havent hurt the engine thankyou for your assistance.il post the verdict . Iv alot to learn about my suby but the part about it bypassing the ecu does'nt sound like a good thing to have ?? What are your thoughts on them ?

Hi again , just thought id give an update on where im at with my wrx problem as I just got the mechanics story . According to him hes replaced fuel filter and has a air flow meter on order which according to him is the reason for rexy wanting to completely cut out when giving it some love ? He's the expert lol , any ideas what kind of money il pay for an air flow meter I wont know until he orders one tommorow .a heads up might help soften the blow