Bored at work... Looking at mods... :D

Basically, my work gives me tons of free time because I sit next to a phone, just in case it rings... (don't worry, I'm not a 999 handler :P)

So to pass the time, I look at stuff I want... mostly computer stuff but also Impreza stuff coz you know... it's an impreza!

My only mods so far are:

Pipercross panel filter (removed the airbox resonator also)

New back box

I am not looking to go down the mega power route... tbh, 225hp beats most things around my area anyway!

So my first thought is a remap and it would be Andy Forrest I would use as they are quite close to me. Looking at the Andy Forrest website (I know there probably is a bloke called Andy Forrest, but I'll refer to them as a company...) and the stage 1 process is:

Level 1 260-280 bhp

Full Decat or Sportscat exhaust from turbo back 2.5 or 3” bore 
Ecutek Custom ECU recalibration (similar to PPP) 
Twin boost set up for high/low power switchable in-car
Walbro 255 l/hr uprated fuel pump       
K+N panel filter

Could I get away with remapping as is and probably not reach 260hp? I have looked at race cat downpipes n the such but wanting to keep expense down.

Another thing is BOV, I know there is a lot of debate with these etc... but could i install one then get the car mapped so it 100% works with the car? I personally like the sound of them... I get a little noise after removing the airbox resonator but I want everyone else to hear it also :D

I don't have plans to do this for a few months as I'm looking to move house... and the wife would kill me :D

Any advice is always appreciated!

• Like 1

You'd probably need a fuel pump what ever your goals are as it's a bit of extra insurance. Warlbro pumps appear to have gone down hill a bit recently plenty of others around.

Could always look at getting a fully decat system loads around on the bay. You would need a friendly m.o.t tester though.

Not sure what yours would make with the stock cat set up. I've seen new foresters make an extra 20bhp with just a map and no supporting mods.

Maybe worth emailing Andy with what your current set up and what goals you have in mind see what he comes back with

You'd probably need a fuel pump what ever your goals are as it's a bit of extra insurance. Warlbro pumps appear to have gone down hill a bit recently plenty of others around.

Could always look at getting a fully decat system loads around on the bay. You would need a friendly m.o.t tester though.

Not sure what yours would make with the stock cat set up. I've seen new foresters make an extra 20bhp with just a map and no supporting mods.

Maybe worth emailing Andy with what your current set up and what goals you have in mind see what he comes back with

Don't really want to go down the full decat route, don't know of any "would look the other way" MOT testers in my area... plus my neighbours think my car is already loud :D

I was looking at this: http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24_53&products_id=3396

Could i then keep my standard centre pipe or would it be best to replace that as well?

Fair enough, If it's the same diameter as your centre pipe it should be fine, that will take out both cats behind the turbo I guess, word of warning I've got a sports cat and mine still failed the emissions, maybe because it's not mapped but it was only a couple of percent over the threshold.

Think your car has a pre cat in the up pipe which is quite restrictive.

That would free up some power if you removed that plus if you were to run higher boost it wouldn't disintegrate and take the turbo out on the way.

Fair enough, If it's the same diameter as your centre pipe it should be fine, that will take out both cats behind the turbo I guess, word of warning I've got a sports cat and mine still failed the emissions, maybe because it's not mapped but it was only a couple of percent over the threshold.

Think your car has a pre cat in the up pipe which is quite restrictive.

That would free up some power if you removed that plus if you were to run higher boost it wouldn't disintegrate and take the turbo out on the way.

Yeh it looks like there is a cat in the up-pipe as well.

So could put in a new up-pipe which will remove the cat, go with a normal down-pipe but possibly keep the cat after the downpipe (along with the race cat in the downpipe) to keep emissions in check? Or do you think a single race cat with a remap should get below emissions standards?

There's a diy how to floating round on the Web to gut the innards from the up pipe to save some cash instead of buying a new one, looks like that sports cat will be too long to keep the 2nd downstream cat. I think with a map you should be able to get under the emissions with just the sports cat. Yours has a load of sensors post cats which would need the map to allow you to remove the 2nd cat and not throw an eml. I'd wait for some new age owners to come along and chip in as my knowledge is limited to classics

sorry, meant to link this: http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24_53&products_id=1111

This should allow to keep the last cat in the system...

I wouldn't be doing any of this work myself, I have no clue about getting under a car! If my impreza was a second car I would be willing to give it a go... but it's my only car and it's a daily runner!

I have a 2004 blob. I have Pipercross, Prodrive back box and a walbro fuel pump. Nothing else.

I got a remap using VPower by Duncan it it made 272bhp :)

Duncan thought a could hit 290 by just removing one of the cars..up pipe I think he said.

It's my daily runner. I do 100 miles a day round the m25 and through the Dartford tunnel. The biggest thing I noticed was the smoothness of the drive now. So much more fun to drive [emoji16]

Wow, 272hp without changing any of the restrictive exhaust parts? That's quite impressive... I'll probably change the up-pipe at least, read a lot of stories online of the cats breaking up and sending bits into the turbo, then people say that if you're changing the up-pipe, you might as well change the down pipe since you have to remove the downpipe from the turbo to access the bolts that attach the up-pipe to the turbo!!

I've learned all of this in the past couple of days since i barely work when i'm at work... love my job... :D

Yea, not removed any of the cats [emoji4] oh I did de-snorkel too

both my tuner and mechanic said the uppipe cat would only start to be a problem around 100k (I think they said).

Duncan (RaceDynamix) was quite pleased. He did say he seems to get a little more power from later blobs.

I think Duncan said he thought perhaps three hours of labour to remove the uppipe, so guess it would make sense to do other stuff at the same time. At the time I was quite keen to keep the car as standard as possible and easy to MOT.

I'm really pleased with the results and I have shocked a M5 owner and a Jag XJR (?). A real pleasure to drive. My favourite is the acceleration from 2nd gear all the way through to fifth, just so incredibly smooth and fast [emoji3] id highly recommend it

Yeh I'm def going to do it some point this year... priority is moving house, once I've done that, will start putting money aside for the work to get done, probably picking up parts as I go. Currently watching an STI up-pipe which will fit my blob and it does not have a cat. Then I'll probably get a race cat downpipe, get it all fitted then get the car mapped!

Good to know about the up-pipe cat tho, my blob has only done 35k :D

35 nice. Mine was at 58 last April but about to hit 70k.

Yea I've been looking at race cats. Just quite happy with the car now. If I was going of performance I may go for improving brakes and suspension.

Thinking of pricing up the interior with STI seats perhaps.

Too many improvements not enough money [emoji2][emoji16]

Yea I tend to go from the breakers on Scoobynet to japperformanceparts to auto trader and then back again [emoji3]

me too, not scoobynet breakers though alternate ones in East Anglia, eBay etc