Oil changing... When exactly?

Martin959

Hi Guys, another challenging question for the forum :P 

I have changed the oil at the 93.000 miles, and now im around 94, 95.000 around that, I almost dont use the scooby, only for going groceries twice a week and some small trip on weekends, they say we should change the oil after the 5.000 miles... but it actually depends on how you use the car? or is it strictly after the 5.000 miles? (I have to cross whole spain, since Im moving to Gibraltar next month :( :) :P )

I know one guy who owns a S2000 and went to Germany, raced on the Nurburgring, keep touring in germany, came back and the oil was still yellow... :P

Thanks!

The service manual says different things according to where you are and how you drive,

If I remember, the manual says, if you live in hot dusty countries a change every 3.5k is necessary again with hard driving, I think you'll be ok unless you want to put a different grade of oil to cope with the different temps, I know most of Spain is cold at this time of year.

I do about 8k a year and do two changes, jap cars love fresh oil anyway. Can't hurt

• Like 1

My WRX says 12,000 miles. However, by then the oil is getting dark and thickening which is no good for high performance flat 4 engines that need the more viscous thinner oil to stop the head gasket blowing. If it looks dark, then change it is my advise.

• Like 1

short trip driving is about the worse you can have for an engine.

Oil never reaches full temp for long enough periods to remove moisture & fuel from oil.

Best thing you can do is use a decent synthetic, ester based if can afford it & change perhaps at 3000 mile intervals or 2 years which ever comes first.

You can never change your oil too much but then you also don't want to be wasting the oil from extreme over service.

My WRX says 12,000 miles. However, by then the oil is getting dark and thickening which is no good for high performance flat 4 engines that need the more viscous thinner oil to stop the head gasket blowing. If it looks dark, then change it is my advise.

Yeah, I like your way of thinking... :P 

according to my manual that covers the 03-05 blob impreza

you change oil every 7.5k miles, (12k km) or 7.5 months, which ever comes first. 

unless you repeatedly drive short distances, keep in extreme cold weather or repeatedly tow a trailer,

then you change oil and filter every 3.75k miles, (6k km) or 3.75 months, which ever comes first. 

I am going to aim for every 4 months, as I do often drive for long distance and most days drive for over 40 mins, but I also do very short trips out as I work 1 mile down the road.

I have heard synthetic oils have more detergents in and therefore they tend to "clean" as well as lubricate. So, using thinner synthetic oil as a top up helps if the oil is looking darker than it should be. Using something like 0W/30 synthetic with 5W/30 dark oil will allow it to thin down and become more viscous to extend the service time a little, but that's not generally recommended unless needed.

• Like 1