Brakes on my sti

jayjay

Hi all,

I'm after a little info if possible please. I've got a new 64 reg StI which has only covered 1500 miles. The brakes have been grinding really bad when you press the brake pedal, the pads have been checked and are almost like new which you would expect with so little miles on the clock.

It's been in twice now to my local Subaru main dealer to see if there's anything stuck in the pads but are unable to find anything, the dealer says it's perfectly normal because of the type of brakes and because of the grit on the road.

I think they are talking rubbish but was just wondering if anybody else has had any problems like this or heard of anything

Thanks

Jay

I'd have a look behind the heat shield if you can I've had it and found a really small stone had wedged itself in. If the brakes have started to get sticky pistons just driving would make them really hot to the point the alloy heats up to just being warm but the discs you will feel the heat coming off them. Do you drive it on a daily basis ? I know I'm selling a CRV at the minute only been stud for 3 days moved it to give it a run about and they had started to sound very grind like noise. I'd give it a blast once warm and do a few hardish braking and check for intense heat they will get hot but see if it is crap on them. It should soon clear anything off them. 

I havent owned a 64 plate Sti but I do use sintered pads on my bikes - the sintered pads do have pieces of metal in them so if teh standard pads on teh STi are sintered it may well give a grinding noise on use as it is metal on metal - trhe only thing is when I switched from OEM to sintered on my bikes I didnt notice a massive difference in noise but I did notice a difference in performance improvement.

I know its a ball ache but I would suggest pulling the pads and if there is an anti squeal plate putting some copper slip on that and check the face of the pad itself

Sintered pad example

http://www.stdreams.com/catalog/sintered-front-brake-pi-12734.html

http://www.volarmotorsport.com/Motorcycle-Brake-Pads.html

some pad compound info

http://www.onallcylinders.com/2012/04/19/how-to-choose-disc-brake-pads/

I've also got a 64 plate STI. My brakes sound terrible when you first set off. I haven't taken the car in to the garage as I think it's fairly common on the new STI's. I've read a couple of posts on here about the same thing. On mine it stops after a couple of miles when things are warmed up which makes me think there's something in the brake pad material.

My new shape 14 plate STi had covered 8,000 miles now and although I did notice a slight scraping noise when braking that has stopped now. It sounded like the pads were low but I didn't get it checked as I knew they weren't. Just did a brands hatch track day and the brakes were awesome with no fade at all. They don't make any noise now so hopefully yours just need to bed in a bit more.

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

No they were quite strict on how cameras have to be secured so made me take off my little dash cam. I'll know for next time and get some footage. There's a short video on you tube of me flying past a Mazda on the main straight

Hope that link works :-) it was damp for the first few laps and I was quicker than all the bmw's and I even passed a 911 which made me smile.

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've just had my 64 plate into Subaru for it's first service at 10K miles (only 5 months I've had it, so looks to be 2 services a year for me). I've had the brake concern since about month 1 as it sounds like my old ST205 brakes after not using it for a week. At first I thought it was the surface of the disc as it would scrape on the first couple of times braking. On closer inspection at the 4 month mark I could see 2 little spots of what looked to be metal on the disc surface which I could hear scrape every rotation while on the brakes at low speed. Asked the dealer to have a look and they said there is absolutely nothing wrong with the brakes and the pads weren't shifted or binding in any way.

I still think in general it's something on the surface building up after use as it seems to clear up after a few stops (ignoring the 2 lumps on mine), only concern is if this will shorten the life of the disc or pads.