new to boxer engine. help!!!!

Gaz1982

So ok guys I need your help. I opened the bonnet today as I have an oil leak and was poking around and I noticed what looks to me like the blow off valve leaking oil. Is this normal? If not how do I fix it?

Cheers.

I will post pics shortly.

I'm a bit unfamiliar with the legacy set up but the factory recirculation valve is normally located on the passenger's side of the tmic and aftermarket blow off valves are normally fitted just before the throttle body .

The area in the pic is very close to the turbo and there's only a few places that have oil running through them (on a single turbo set up) so maybe have a look at these to see if you can find the issue .

If the turbo seals have gone it normally pushes oil into the inlet tract and you'd get oil in the tmic /throttle body and blue smoke from the exhaust tail pipe .

The oil feed to the turbo is connected via a banjo bolt which might be leaking onto the outside of the turbo .

The oil drain pipe (from the underside of the turbo to the head) this pipe gets a bit brittle and somtimes weaps/splits .

The oil drain itself can get blocked and cause back pressure on any of the above causing a leak in that area

Hopefully it's a easy fix for you fella , keep us posted

Don't panic, that all looks very normal. Oil residue/vapour finds its way out over the years. If you took the IC off you will find a small amount of oil running around inside it. It's not ideal but it's not anything to panic about. It might simply be a pipe clip not as tight as it was when it left the factory or something similar.

The stuff you have seen has built up over time, it's not suddenly appeared.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I was skeptical of them at 1st as they were half the price of everywhere else but after receiving the hoses they are just as good as Samco etc.

Was on the phone to them and they said they make big volumes hence passing the savings onto the customer, plus they usually have stock so no waiting 8 weeks for them to be made

Hey sam. How you doing mate? I'm on the website now they're £50 for the 3. I gotta get tyres, break pads and a drive shaft gator tomorrow so I'll have to see how my bank balance is after. I've done a temporary fix for now and seems to be holding

I've found a reasonably priced direct replacement that I can put in, just to get me back on the road... In the mean time the other bag of spanners is going to be pulled apart and tinkered with. 

I did say I wanted a project... I just didn't expect it so soon. Or to be an engine rebuild! 

How's your car going anyway? Did you get that other legacy in the end?

No time like the present ha ha. No I didn't get it in the end. I still wanna do that front end swap but trying to save my pennies to get a respray at the same time so it's all done at once.