Self levelling head lights

pudseyblue

I assume you mean the dipped headlights are aimed too high? Any work done which might explain this, if it's a recent development? Have they always been like this? Fresh bulbs put in recently? If so, they may not be seated properly and you'll have to remove the cover (grey plastic behind each h/l fitting) and check. If you've done this and the bulbs are sitting fine, there are adjustment screws on each headlight housing. Let us know if you need directions on finding these screws (assuming you've checked the bulbs, and there's no physical damage).

There's a shutter flap in the HID headlights on Gen IVs that should move up and down when you select main beam. Could be that it's stuck in the main beam position. (someone had this problem over on UKLegacy the other week).

Do you have this wheel to scroll?

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1429118704.925363.jpg

If so, the beam can be adjusted up or down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All cars have it. It is to an just headlights up or down depending how heavy your boot is. Ie 5 people +loads of luggage in boot would be number 5 . 0 is when car is lightly loaded. Normally you should be driving on 0.

• 3 months later...

Do you have this wheel to scroll?

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByTapatalk1429118704.925363.jpg

If so, the beam can be adjusted up or down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He may not have this wheel.  Xenon head lights by law are required to have automatic adjustment to prevent a heavy car blinding on coming road users (due to the extra brightness of the Xenons).

During MOT the car should be adjusted only part of the test where a tester can change any part of the vehicle.

Or you could just drive up to a wall, use the adjusting screws to lower the lights whilst car is empty, to regain the correct light height.

All cars have it. It is to an just headlights up or down depending how heavy your boot is. Ie 5 people +loads of luggage in boot would be number 5 . 0 is when car is lightly loaded. Normally you should be driving on 0.

As above Xenons by law must do this automatically, if there is a system fault they automatically drop to the lowest levels.  If his are high I suspect the adjustment is out.

• 2 weeks later...

U sure it's Xenon bulbs and not projector lights? Or hid bulbs ? Cause if you are talking Xenon bulbs then all older cars using Xenon bulbs are illegal. As to how bright Xenon are that 30% brighter advertised is nothing I can hardly see the difference between old style halogen and new style xenon.

=_=

Regards

Steveuk260

I mean the system where the headlights have a high voltage warning symbol.

The correct name for this system I'm not sure as I have heard of HID and projectors?? Are they all the same or different??

This system is often referred to as Xenon lights, as I understand. You are correct that this is not accurate as Xenon is a gas which you can now buy for normal headlights.