Can anyone recommend an exhaust for my 2007 STi Spec D

Hi all, I know this has all been asked a million times before. Basically what I'm after is a updated back box for my Spec D, but one that I can then further update with the rest of the system at a later date. I'm just after a temporary fix the the subdued non rumbly sound it has at the moment. I don't mind if its second hand if anyone has one for sale, I'm sure this is easier that it sounds. But thought that if I could get a back ox and a decat pipe at the same time that would be great. I don't have a massive budget, as I'd like a remap, some different wheels and to lower it a bit. Possibly with some coilovers. I'd also like to either despoiler the boot ( it has the little ironing board wrx type one cos it's the spec D) or get a sti spoiler, which I'm not sure I can get one in my colour. It's kinda a pale golden colour. If anyone can hook me up with some details of contacts or anything I would truly appreciate it.

Again, I know I'm a newbie. So I know you all probably get fed up of getting dumb questions all the time.

But if anyone can help you will officially be a legend. I even have some legend badges on standby lol

the question is how load do you want to go. there are a few vids on utube that you can hav a look at what people put up. there are different sizes and sounds. I liked my magnex on my wrx. but my mate that has a wagon now hated it said it was to quiet he has a much louder one on and has a bung in for mornings so neighbours are happy. at the mo I hav  3" straight middle from car and gives a nice rally sound but not to loud. I would look at air filter before map if not already got one in. I would also put a carbon rear boot if despoiling much easier than painting it to car colour. then carbon bonnet. but big budget for that.

eBay throws up some good second hand stuff but you run the risk of it not fitting spot on - if you are happy getting the spanners out etc that wont be an issue for yourself

this bunch have a range of good quality kit and are very helpful on the phone

http://www.scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog/index.php?cPath=24_156

or you could take a chance, measure the diameter of you existing mid section pipe and have a look at something like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBARU-IMPREZA-WRX-STI-BACK-BOX-EXHAUST/231005417894?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D15867%26meid%3D8645163402318830508%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D7588%26rk%3D4%26sd%3D130934885527%26

The ones on the scooby world link you posted up look cool. I love the look of that mental on that's just a straight through pipe hehehehe my neighbours would love me !!! I'd love to say I've got enough to buy a full system, but at the moment all I can get is a decat section, and a back box. I may be able to stretch to a down pipe too. There is one thing I worry about tho, I was recommended a exhaust from eBay by a 'mate' and I drove to Newport to get it. The guy was a top bloke, and it was exactly what he described. Was a turbo back full system, with decats. Still in the wrappers etc. but when I got my wrx up on the 2 post to fit it, it was completely different. So I found out that all "new age" exhausts don't fit the 2006-2007. I sold it onto a guy with a blob eye and it fitted fine. So I get a little scared when I see the systems that say 2001-2007 wrx or sti. As I don't have that kind of money to waste mucking around paying for one and getting it fitted only to find it doesn't fit, if that makes sense. Unfortunately I can't fit the things myself, my back is knackered after a accident I had last year. I do get involved, but it's generally holding tools or making the teas lol

As you would be changing the exhaust for aesthetic reasons I would hold on until you can get one from a dealer who knows it will def fit - and if it doesn't will take it back. The existing exhaust is not too restrictive so I would take the budget you do have and look at the induction kit / filter as suggested already a rolling road session / ecu remap to match that and your boot spoiler - when I was looking at Hawkeyes I found there are a lot of bolt on goodies for styling that take your Spec D (for Discrete) to Spec L (Look at me!)

• Like 1

I'd like the Zorst to make it a little less discreet lol I have a few places near me, but not so near that I could drop it off. So I'd have to wait while they do it lol I do like the idea of despoilering it, I'm not sure it would make a massive difference on stability tbh. I do have a large breakers yard near me, and it's got a few dead scoobs (r.i.p) but they are the earlier blob eye ones. Will their spoilers fit mine?? I know I'd have to get the boot lifters out of it too, well unless I start to enjoy holding the boot open with my head while taking shopping out the back lol I know this sounds silly, but would a slip on back box improve the sound at all ?

A slip on end can will change the sound - it may be louder it may change the tone it will depend on shape / size it will be down to your taste as to if this is an improvement or not, check on you tube etc for vids of different exhausts sounds that may help your decision.

The spoilers may fit - as far as the size between the various models (Blob, Round, Hawk) the back end is the same however the mounting holes may differ.

Take a tape measure with you when you go to the breakers and check before purchase. You can take yours off and get the mounting hole diameter and location prior to a trip to the yard. 

Ultimately most body kits spoilers etc can be made to fit if you have the time / skillset / inclination to drill holes, fill gaps and blend to fit

I'd quite like a subtle spoiler on the back, kinda like a ducktail kinda thing. Just not a massive ducktail, because that would look kinda weird. I guess that's a job for the photoshop later when I get bored lol

I know carbon fibre is all the rage at the mo, but I did wonder if a glass fibre version was available so I could blend in a subtle spoiler

And get it painted body colour

I bought a milltek cat back exhaust last night. my thinking was that instead of a cheap (ish) back box, buying a well known make cat back system would be better, because when I get a little more cash I can buy the other parts of it to make a full system. If I can get a cheap (and compatible) decat ill slap that on and get it mapped. Also got some coilovers from drift works, and. I've spied so me killer wheels on eBay. Although they are 18"x9" so I'm not sure if they will fit. I'm pretty miffed because I have a brand new set of wheels and tyres in my shed. They are 5x108 & 5x112 in 19"x8.5" flavour. I've been told by a mate of mine who's an engineer and a bit of a serial car modder that they will fit with wobble nuts. But I'm a bit dubious about if A: they will fit & B: will they be safe. It just seems a shame because they are literally new, have done about 70 miles at the very most, and I only bought them 4 weeks ago brand new

• Like 2

Well I checked my order for the milltek I ordered that was 'in stock' but they don't have any, and milltek aren't due to make any till the 12th of July. Gutted!! Are the scoobyworld exhausts any good????? was thinking of instead of waiting, I'd just change it to one of those exhausts.

I  Although they are 18"x9" so I'm not sure if they will fit. I'm pretty miffed because I have a brand new set of wheels and tyres in my shed. They are 5x108 & 5x112 in 19"x8.5" flavour. I've been told by a mate of mine who's an engineer and a bit of a serial car modder that they will fit with wobble nuts. But I'm a bit dubious about if A: they will fit & B: will they be safe. It just seems a shame because they are literally new, have done about 70 miles at the very most, and I only bought them 4 weeks ago brand new

Have done some digging and all the references that I can find state 5x114 for the STI from 2005

Yeah, here 5x114.3. And over the circumference it's only a 1mm difference over the whole thing. Which in theory would be taken up by the 'wobble bolts' I'm just dubious as to if this is a good idea or not. I've done a lot of reading and there's guys who do drifting etc that happily use aftermarket 5x112 wheel on they're cars as they go through tyres like my boy does through nappies. Those wheels would get a real pasting with all the forces through drifting so in theory it might be ok. But I guess the question is do I want to risk it.

On another note and back on he posts subject, I changed the exhaust from the out of stock milltek cat back to the scooby clinic one and then with the price difference (I'd already paid) I got them to chuck in a HKS panel filter

• Like 1

nice idea addressing flow at both ends :P

wrt to the wheels - my 2p drifters etc are giving it stacks in a controlled environment where things are de risked to a certain degree, individuals behind barriers and themselves inside strengthened cars if they have a failure it can be contained if you are doing 70 on a dual track or motorway and you get a stress fracture it is harder to contain and the ramifications can be greater due to the surrounding environment.

Also if they dont fit spot on with the car you have, there could be undue stressed on your bearings and hubs - you have spent a lot of money on a great car, I dont think it is worth it.

My thoughts exactly, I just gotta find someone to have these basically new rims I've got. Once they're gone I can get some. I can't even keep the tyres as I'm not sure 19's will be any good on a sti. So the tyres aren't even any use. !Removed! !

Lichfield are recommending 18's as a min for tweaked STI's and I know at least one other member is running 19's in the summer so as long as the rolling radius is not changed 19's should be fine - there are some comments around about the track width being affected on older Subarus leading to handling difficulties but havent come across anything for new age and the STI track is wider then the wrx anyway

I've got my eye on a few sets of wheels on eBay, as long as they don't go up mentally on the price ill have them. Although they are pretty wide. The set I'm most keen on are 17"x9" but I'm not sure they'll fit over the brembos.

But then I have to get rid these !Removed! 19's first lol