thinking of buying a forester

nitro12

evening all, Im after some advise on getting a forester, looking at getting a cheap workhorse for no more than about a grand, obviously not going to get a minter for that but it only needs to last as long as it does, fairly handy with a spanner so maintenance isn't a worry, i was mainly after advise on their fuel economy, how fun they are to drive (i enjoy driving so this is important) and how the do when it comes to rot as i know japanese vehicles tend to hate our british winters, sorry for the questions early on but you know what its like when you get an idea in your head :-) many thanks, Ben

Wotcha and welcome Ben - We have a few fozzie owners on the forum with vehicles in various states of tune, now I have never owned a Fozzie but being on this forum a bit you pick up the odd nugget of information. As I understand it the Fozzie and the Impreza share the same basic layout which is supported by the fact you can get STi versions of both so in theory if you were to invest the funds you could have a 500bhp closed deck block 2 bar of boost running hay bale carrying workhorse of snarling death.

Check out Farmerpugs thread he took a similar approach to what I believe you are looking at - a sub grand workhorse, but at that price be prepared to put some wrench time in.

Fuel economy - its all a trade off, if you go NA then it will be less power but also less fuel consumption, the turbo versions use more fuel but dont feel as laboured under load - if you wear a diving boot when you drive the mpg is obviously going to be lower but the smile will be bigger - its all relative

Im sure Stants and the other Fozzie owners will be along in a while to contribute but feel free to get stuck in with the forum

Hello welcome,

We have someone else in the same position as you atvthe mo, although they are looking at one in a little bit of a higher budget the principles are the same

http://uk.subaruownersclub.com/forums/index.php?/topic/13743-Buying-advice-04-Forester-XT

If your after an older model that the one above the 1st generation is pretty bulletproof and can be picked up fairly cheap

well I've had a look around and now I'm even more torn, the temptaition for turbo is strong, its going to be a family/dog car but also its got to deal with the lovely (when not pot holed) roads round cumbria when driving alone, the only way ill be able to decide is to try and drive both models :-) 

is there any difference between the mk1 and mk2? prefer the look of the mk1 in and out but theres more choice when it comes to the mk2, any difference in reliability or handling/performance? 

cheers guys :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Owned both a Mk 1 and a Mk 2. Have to say that if you're like me (about 6ft 2 tall, and reasonably wide), the Mk 1 was a little cramped. Mk 2 has more interior space. As far as the dogs go, they have no issues with either, getting in the back of the car is still exciting for them, whichever car it is :D :D :D

Both cars were fairly low spec, and the Mk 1 was high mileage (bought in Glastonbury on E-bay, and then driven home in a day). The Mk 2 was a very clean low mileage example.

Both cars deal with the pot holes and bends around north east Scotland with no problem, and you don't need to be going very fast to get some rasp from the engine (soundproofing not high on Subaru agenda) and the feeling that you are making good progress.

If you're in a rural area, have a look at the number of farmers driving the Foresters - they don't part with their money readily - this has the benefit that there may well be several good indepenent garages around you as well.

• Like 1

Cheers Iain, I've seen a few farmers with them and though the same about them not parting with money easily, not seen any turbo models round here but I'm still on the lookout for one, been told I need to sell at least one of my other vehicles before I'm allowed one haha

Still unable to find a turbo, I'm going to have a look at a non turbo this weekend and was wondering if there's much you can do with them tuning wise Incase I choose to do so, I know the turbos can be set up for ridiculous power if enough money thrown at it, but is the non turbo completely limited in this sense, ie can they still be remapped etc?

I'd hold out for a turbo if you want the power as you're limited with the n/a car and it's ruinous trying to eek out more power will cost loads more than a turbo at the end of the day, David went from a n/a foz which he loved to a legacy as he had the power urge after about 6 months. Where are you based and what's your budget I'll keep an eye out for turbos as they seem to be quite common up here

I'm in Cumbria, near Penrith, my budget is only about 1k which is tight, but I've seen a few on eBay within that price, there just many miles away and I'm a bit weary Incase it's a dog, mechanical issues aren't really a problem to me it's just deep engine work or bodywork/rot I'm trying to avoid, I know that n/a would be enough power as it is but I get bored easily and would like to have to have the ability to tinker and improve it, guess I'm just getting impatient haha, I've put feelers out to the car dealers around here though so you never know :-)

I ended up going to Southampton to collect mine, bought it unseen which isn't like me just had a 'feeling' if any pop up that are too far out I'm sure one of us will be happy to help out/investagate for you.

You get them cropping up from time to time owned by an old chap fsh etc and they want rid cos it's too big so I'm sure something will turn up

Think you will struggle find a worthy turbo SF (mk1) for 1K.

Was one on autotrader that was non starter (fuel pump immobilizer issue) which was well cheap & looked clean/interesting.

You'll pick up a decent sport SF or AWP SF for about 1K though.

Rust not major issue unless car spent some time in coastal area or farm use or not cleaned well. rear arch lips can rot & rear subframe & chassis & sills need a look at as can be rotted when subjected to harsh environment & no early treatment.

I'm a big fan of the SF, nicer styling shape & build is far more solid & interiors wear far far better.

As a driver you ideally want the turbo but you going need travel a bit to find one & add a bit more to the purchase fund to make it a worthy one. Certainly good car for cumbria :-) good luck.

There's a turbo on eBay at the moment, bidding but says would take 800 for it, only problem is it's 4 hours away and clutch starting to slip, if it was an hour away I'd go for it, it's a long trek for a risk, still, bound to be one pop up eventually, :-) gonna go have another look on the trader now haha

There's one on the bay in Forfar...relisted due to rogue bidder, currently at 440 and went for a grand last time round. 134k on clock but good history. Mine had 136k when I changed but ran like a dream.

Worth a look?

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

If I had a few quid id be buying it for a weekend play thing project and get it mapped [emoji6]

It's a steal if you can get it around a grand

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

Well this morning I popped over to Edinburgh and bought myself one, will add a picture when I can figure out how to, 150 odd mile trip back and it was perfect, couldn't have asked for more to be honest :-)