cambelt change

stants

Can someone give me the interval schedule for cambelt changes on foresters ?

Car going in for a major service tomorrow  and am uming and ahing about doing the belt mainly cos i've no idea what state it's in or how old it is, and there is virtually no service history, the chap at the garage who i bought it from says it's got about 20k left before change.

i've been quoted £170 for just the belt doing and £400 for all the idlers and tensionsers too, on top of the major service it's having i'm gonna be broke, i can just about do the belt and service but my heart says skint yourself for piece of mind and get it all done,  

so 

1, do service and any other little bits that may be spotted, trust sleller  :unsure: 

2, do service and belt,

3,f**k it and do everything live off pot noodles for the month !

opinions please 

If I was in doubt I would change it mate. Always better to be safe then sorry, and I'm sure pot noodles wont be all bad as long as you can borrow some bread and butter of next door :)

When it comes to cam belts I am with the pot noodle option + peace of mind

i know it's just the pain in the wallet,i suppose it's better than an engine rebuild  :o

anyone know how to knit a balaclava ? 

Modify a black bin liner. That way once you have done the job and got the money, you can then pop to the shop and you already have a bag to carry the pop noodles home in. Always thinking of the environment me you see :D 

Haha If I was wanting to save the planet I would have a Prius. Not that I believe in this green house effect that much just a way for an invisible tax IMO :)

And if you want to go with fashion remember you must wear jogging bottoms with shoes ideally Rockports and shirt with the top 3 maybe 4 buttons undone, along with gold chains. and going back to the head wear a baseball cap and just stretch a condom around the middle of the face over the nose :D

So it looks a little bit like this :D 

g9bx.jpg

• Like 1

Subaru say every 60,000 miles or every 3 years.

I have two near misses with friends cars and cambelts. First was my (then) girlfriend who bought a Legacy GT-B and was told it had a new belt. We took the word of the dealer and took no further action. 18 months later she decided to have it changed early and it was clear it had been fitted badly and would not have lasted much longer, so she dodged a bullet there.

Story two was my mate Rich who bought a fresh import Legacy Blitzen. Again he was told it has a fresh belt, but I told him the above story and he decided to check it out as soon as he took delivery. Good job he did as the belt had started to fall apart... It was so bad the garage that changed it hung it on their wall to show other customers what could go wrong!

I would say always do the full kit if you can... The tensioners can and do fail and when they do it's game over for your engine.

• Like 2

All done, service belts tensioners etc :) typically the belt looked fine. The oils and spark plugs were a different kettle of fish. Whoever serviced the car last time only replaced two plugs and the gearbox/diffs hadn't been touched for long time. still at least everything's done and looking good for mot :) one less thing to do. Let the mild mods begin

• Like 2

Nice one mate least it's done now. Even if it does mean you are going to have to beat some tramps up at midnight to fight them off the last bit of pizza some Pi$$ heads dropped on his way home ;) 

It's ok i'll be in disguise. 3 1/2 hours in meadowhall followed by 3 hours in the pub nursing a beer was plenty of time to craft a very elegant bin rading outfit !

Like you say, next couple of sercices will be fairly minor so it was good to get it all out the way before the stork comes and consumes all my money.

I'm trying to not get carried away with the mods though i spent a small fortune on the last car

• Like 2

i can tell you from experience that if you have the belt done then its a MUST to get the tensioners and idlers done too, i ignored this advice once from a qualified mechanic and i just did the belt as it was cheaper, a week or so later driving up the motorway, at a considerable speed, the tensioner left the vehicle and decided to go for a wander leaving me with 6 bent valves out of 16, luckily my mate fixed it for the cost of the parts and ported and polished the head whilst waiting for the new parts, but a lesson ;earned the hardway

• Like 1

I know mate, i allways get them done when i get a new car just to be on the safe side. The thing that put me off was the amount the dealer quoted me. I only asked them as a guide price !

Still it's all good now. I've seen some horrible engine disasters due to belts failing so know a couple hundred quid spent now is money well spent.

Last car had a none interference belt so i've been living in that comfort zone for bit

• Like 2

it's more expensive for the scooby engines as the quad cam design, uprated belts and numerous idlers and tensioners means parts alone aren't cheap, then the pain in the **** job of fitting, i bought mine with it already done, i have since discovered that what i thought was a rocker oil leak may actually be the crank seal so i may be doing this job myself in the foreseeable, i will try and get pics as i go through it to help anyone in the future

Mate of mind is a mechanic. Still have to pay for his time and use of the ramps as he will lose money, he's always fully booked up (guess it's a good sign he knows what he's doing) but I get it a lot cheaper then everyone else and if its a small job most of the time it's free or he will tell me how to doit :D