up pipe

steve33

just wondering,if uppipe has been damaged ,can this cause the car to miss,and idle lumpy?,as cant find any vacum leaks anywere,so was wonderign what symptoms up pipe would cause? as my ecu light is on ,also,runs lumpy now,misses,farts etc :0(

Ok I will bite the bullet with this one I really don't have any idea. You seem to have done every part of the car and spent a lot of money with it. I think the problem with misfire would make me believe its a problem with fuel or air intake :(

If the up-pipe is holed you will almost certainly hear it making a "blowing exhaust" sound and you will also be down on boost as there will be less exhaust gas pressure to spin the turbo. I can't see any logical reason why it would or could effect another part of the system.

If you think you have damage in that area, have you looked at the lambda sensor? Not to far from the up-pipe and will effect the running.

• Like 1

my head is hurting with this problem,ive changed lamba/maf/acv/ and also new fuel 255l fuel pumpand main air pipe,that goes to maf,turbo,and still the same,im lost at this,all this happened,as my car had a small shunt to back end,but hit the back box,and pushed forward about 1/1/2 to 2 inch,tested everypipe,to turbo etc for leakage,with air line,and sprayign to see if revs alter,no change,my head hurts now :0( even been on subari fault finder,coiem back as error code 24 ,which is acv,changed for new one,still same  :0(

dont i know it,all i can do is change more,and learn from this,wouldnt mind,was going to fit ,bigger turbo,etc ,and get mapped :0( gutted,(new update),car only misses,when turbo is spooling,so starts at 2600rpm,

but will post when i find problem (plugs/leads)??? changed coil pack also :0(

Well hopefully your patience will pay off and will be a great car after. I'm sure mine would have ran out and I would have cut my losses by now and sold that and bought another one :D But saying that I guess it gets to a point where its to late to walk away :(

NEWS UPDATE (im very sure this was the proplem,in car missing,and stalling etc ,upong very very close inspection,i found a hair line crack in the turbo manifold,so fingers crossed im hoping this is whats caused all my problems,when car shunted my back boz,it pushed my exhaust forward,and cracked my turbo manifold,if you have proplems like mine,check the manifold first ,save yourself a lot of money,in tryignt o fault find,but im wonderign,would this crack ,make the ecu light come on ?????

• Like 2

well i had my fingers crossed and toes,and im afraid ,problem is still there,cant work this out, little shunt in back box,and car stalled,now runs lumpy,wont idle,misses etc under boost,smells very very rich, im lost with this,changed loads sencers,checked pipes,even replace pipes,and still here,wonderign if i took too a tuner,they would find fault???,any suggests im in cumbria

Don't know anyone up that way, sorry. Have you checked the exhaust system itselt? The accident could have caused one or both of the cats to collapse, thus giving too much restriction.

Sorry if this has already been suggested... I'm too lazy to read old posts!

• Like 2

I haven't read the whole thread so Appologies if it's been said but have you checked the maf, I bought mine dirt cheap as the maf was faulty and caused the exact symptoms you have mentioned, also, is it a classic? Have you run the diagnostics for fault codes to see what the ecu is listing, it's unlikely the lights on for the manifold

only got one cat on car,200cell sports one,(ss downpipe)yes changed maf,for a new one most sencer ive changed for new ones,yes did ecu check,error code 24,acv valve,new one fitted,no change,yes its classic,its 1999 

That is odd, I have now read a bit more of the thread, you've covered most things, try taking the exhaust off at the turbo and go for a quick run, if it boosts ok it's obvious exhaust related, could be a baffle has collapsed somewhere that now restricting as Adam said but take the whole system off

• Like 2

will be very loud,but ile give anything a go,if cat has collopsed,would that cause it too miss/lumpy etc ? as car that shunted me,knocked back box ,1 and 1/2 inch forward,had full turbo of car ,few times,,but ile try from turbo back,and post back,will try tomorrow,as loosing interest,1 owner car/full service history,and happens to me lol,thanks for replies :0)

• Like 2

it will be loud that is true but it is suggested just a short journey - on a positive note it will put a smile on your face as if it is the exhaust your car will take off through the range no probs  :D

Yeh you only need a short blast to see if it boosts properly, once you done that you will know if it's the exhaust or not, don't let this get you down now, you at the point where most things have been renewed, your not far from a brand new car, just a thought but what about the lift pumps in the tank, if one has been damaged it could be that causing it to not run at speed/revs as it's only getting enough fuel to run slow

lift pumps? ive change fuel pump,to a 255l uprated,one just thee otherday (also new),ive been googling to see any other problems,ile post as soon as i get exhaust of,and check all earths,been checking all connections tonight,make sure rust free etc,all ok,lets hope i have a big smile on my face ,when exhaust is off ,and boosts :0) usuall amount of gasses coming out tail pipe mind,( mean (air vacum),btu will post when trieed in tank mode :0) thanks for responces ,great help 

Yeh the tank has a couple of pumps in, one feeds the main pump under the bonnet the other drags fuel from one side of the tank to the pump in the other side, if one pumps been damaged it could cause starvation, try the exhaust thing first

What make of fuel pump have you fitted? Walbro are very popular (I have one in my GT-B ) but they had a dodgy batch a year or two ago and many are failing now so if it's had a bad knock that may be the problem. Also, when you changed from standard to upgraded did you get the ECU mapped for the change? If not, the fuelling may we way out.

• Like 1

bought from 2fast2cool fuel pump wasnt fitted when had shunt,fitted after,no didnt get remapped,but noticed my sports cat downpipe,is beveled,were sitsd under the car,so ordered new sports cat,asdont fancy driving,liek a tank,as were i live ,some one would complain,will post when new 200 cell downpipe arrivesas i need a few days off lookign at car,as my heads done in to be honnest,but ile put old fuel pump back on :0)

• Like 1

news update,took car for a drive after checking all earth straps,one had snapped,replaced with new end,and changed fuel pump back to original,car didnt miss/and !Removed!,so hopefully got this one sorted,but ,but :0) car still stalls,but getting closer,so hopefully with new downpipe on,problem hopefully be solved,post when downpipe arrives,but thanks for guiding me guys,great help ;0)

• Like 2