poorboys detailing stuff

stants

What's it like ? I usually use meguires stuff nothing too fancy just the 3 step cleaning stuff.

My local motor factors have just got the poorboys stuff and i'm wondering if it's any good and worth taking a punt ?

I use poor boys products, I have a poly clay from them and some natty paste wax and black hole polish, I can't praise it enough, all easy to apply and remove, smells great and end results are superb

With the clay do you use an aplicator spray or just water ?

I've been using the billet & hamber medium clay with water in a spray gun as somone tlld me ut works just as well and the sprays you can get with other branded clays are a but of a con ?

Once the weather's decided to stay dry, i'm going to gve the forester a proper go over previous owner didn't really do muchbi

in the way of good cleaning :-(

Depends on the clay, poly clays will work with water, some natural clays like megs will only work with lube, I use both poly clay and natural, for the poly I either use dodo juice born slippy, megs quik detailer or some megs gold class wash and wax mixed with water in a spray bottle, I used dodo juice on the natural clay and it turns all gooey, if your not sure which you have then poly clay is very stretchy, natural clay tends to snap as you pull it apart

Before you use a clay bar, wash and polish a panel on the car, basically do what you would normallyghthen clay it and see the crap that comes off, there's a cling film test too, get a supposedly clean section, lay the cling film over it and run your finger over the film, you will feel lumps and bumps, once clayed do it again, nice and smooth, be aware that claying takes off any polish or wax put on the panel, my method is, rinse, snow foam, rinse, wash, rinse, clay, wash, rinse, dry, polish, wax, seal

• Like 1

It's a days work, but if you do all the above it wwon't need doing for a good 8k miles, you can just wash, rinse, clay, rinse, polish and wax, that would last you about 5k miles before it needed more than just a wash

Make sure you wet bird crap before removing as they tend to be gritty and can scratch paint, also if left on too long bird crap is very acidic and can leave permanent marks on the car, I always car a bottle of quick detailer and a microfiber cloth to remove it as and when I see it

That looks like it's been machine polished, you can get it as shiny but up close you will see swirls, pb do a black hole polish that will hide quite a few of these swirls on a dark/black car when using by hand but you will never get the same result as a machine, if ever you decide to buy one I would suggest a da as there's very little chance of causing damage with one, the kestrel das6 is by far one of the best units to have and a good price too

nope that's nearly 5 hours of washing claying, and a load of megs products and a elbow grease : )

i like to try and keep my cars as good looking as possible. then when you tell someone how old it this they don't beleive you

job well done imo mate, praise due indeed

theres a forum for tips on what to use and how

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/

and for any products, get in touch with Michael at http://www.thepolishingbooth.com/

tell him i sent you, he does great products at cracking prices and will be more than happy to give advice too

I can empathise with that - blew a ton 20 on stuff just after ours arrived - first time using clay bar - didnt think to rinse off after using it though, hot day and it had all dried just went straight to the polish

now got !Removed! sap all over the car again (two huge trees outside the house!!) and a normal wash with some branded soap hasn't cleared it so will need to spend some time again :angry:  - have checked out the da polisher and can see me investing in one of those :)

Poorboys is good stuff. Personally I have stuck with Meguiars, tried and tested so many different types over the last 5 years (Poorboys, ValetPro, autoglym,Mer) and this is what does it best for me (mine is a WR blue Hawkeye),  although I have just bought a new wax R222 100% carnauba (from cleanyourcar.com) which is awesome !!

if you don't go for a kestrel das6 and you have never used a machine before it MUST be a DA as you can do serious damage with a rotary, i don't know of anybody that has done any damage with a DA, also the pads you use make a difference, cutting pads and compounds, for just a good polishing just waffle pads with something like autoglym super resin polish would do, there are guides all over detailing work for getting more info as it would take too long for me to type everything lol

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=63859

the R222 is a very good wax, theres tons out there from basic to hardcore, prices differ accordingly too, if seen small pots of wax for over 2k before now, swissvax is a damn fine product but you pay the price,

http://www.swissvax.co.uk/product_detail/wax_products/your_exclusive_divine_2

it's all trial and error, i have accumulated so many products over the years, what works well for 1 car maker/colour may not for another, i was an AG only man till i started using other products, some cars only like AG, some only like Megs, some don't like either, this is why i am at the polishing booth so often, always asking him what works best with what car lol

Know Michael well, we have bought most of our products from him and his advice is always top form! I just had this R222 wax recommended by a friend and looking at the pictures he sent me after using it on his car (Audi RS4) I had to give it a go and I love it ! Not pricey and does what it says on the tin.

I nearly bought some R222 a few years back but I spend enough as it is, she's not keen on me getting stuff from the I want shelf, it has to be the I need shelf lol

• Like 1

I nearly bought some R222 a few years back but I spend enough as it is, she's not keen on me getting stuff from the I want shelf, it has to be the I need shelf lol

I spend a fortune on different polishing stuff, reckon i could set up shop in my garage !

I've been discussing this with the wife today, after Xmas this year I'm going to start myself a small valeting business, there's plenty about and they all charge silly money, I can't see why if the wife's in a very well paid position I could charge half what most do and still make a nice profit, I think I'll have to panel the back of the scoob out and have sections for everything