Timing belt kit

Jord

Hi everyone,

I have an 08 reg hatchback Sti and need to change the timing belt. Just wondering if anybody has used any of the timing belt kits such as ina, dayco or contitech? Can pick them up for around £200-£250 and I've found a video on how to replace them which looks pretty straight forward ... Don't want to pay £370 at a garage just for a timing belt without the tesioners and idlers!! Just wondering if anyone has had a go at doing this themselves and if there are maybe other manufacturers that do the kit for slightly less ??

Regards

Jord

Hi mate, have a look at www.importcarparts.co.uk they sell good kits, it's fairly straightforward and if your good with a spanner dhouldn't take to much effort, it's more the time you get charged for from the garage,

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Most people use import car parts for oe subaru stuff ,have a look at their kits that include rollers, tensioner ,belt and water pump .

I think gates or dayco are what most use ,I personally run a gates kevlar belt on mine but unless you're aiming for 400hp + it's probably a bit overkill .

If you've done a few cambelts on other twin cam engines you'll probably find the scoob relatively easy once you remove the rad [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Cheers for the reply guys. I've had a look at importcarparts which looks pretty reasonable regarding price. I understand that the garage has to make a living but i was quoted £570 with belt and tensioner so I thought I'd look around!

Cheers

Dayco is good, part of the company who do OEM subaru, prices from ICP direct (not via ebay) not too bad either.

Did a bit of a guide on belt changing will try & find the thread, just really look at everything well & observe timing marks prior to removal & make extra marks to make job easy & less doubt once assembled.

Think I will go with the dayco set with belt, tensioners, idlers and water pump. The guide would be great if you can find it mate. 

^ depends on age/mileage really & feel of bearing once belt off.

I do them on any high mileage when looks like original one purely as a belt & brace approach & save drama of pump leaks after the work or bearing failing & taking belt with it. Original pumps are bl00dy good though & seen them do 160K & over 200K without drama, but do remember that the change of belt could change drive line & load on pump slightly so if not in best of health problems can arise. Don't use cheap pumps though & avoid the 5hite from likes of euro car parts.

• Like 1

For the sake of a few extra pounds I can get the water pump so I was thinking it would be a good idea to change it being as the belts will be off and out of the way. However, if the water pump is said to be that good then is it really worth doing?? Suppose I can inspect the water pump when I have taken the belts off but then If the water pump needs replacing I would want to replace it right away rather than waiting for a pump to arrive after inspecting the one that is on the vehicle if you get me?  Here is a link to the kits I am looking at: 

http://www.importcarparts.co.uk/parts-info?id=10848&cat=96⊂=457&sec=458&var=0&dc=&gen=&searchKey=&searchPart=

http://www.importcarparts.co.uk/parts-info?id=10721&cat=96⊂=457&sec=458&var=0&dc=&gen=&searchKey=&searchPart=

What do you think . . . ?

Regards

^ what mileage & use is the car !

If like its second belt change & under 100K I probably wouldn't change it unless inspection shows otherwise.

If car gets track use then it would be changed to be sure.

Review the mileage of car & do what think best for you, it easier in my scenario as normally I got a pump in stock anyway so can easily fit one when not initially intending to. I would go with dayco myself.

I use the car every day and it has 43k on the clock but it is 7 years old ... So that's why I want to change the timing belt plus the auxiliary belt is starting to squeak. I'll have another think on whether to get the water pump as well, just thought it might be a good idea seeing as the package price is reasonable. I will go with dayco.

^ I would not include pump at that mileage but would just inspect bearing feel when doing job, pumps last 3x that mileage with ease & twice the age in general . I've done a few legacy & foresters in 120K & up with original pumps & we change them at that mileage, at 43K it wasting a good quality servicable part in most cases of normal car/usage.