picking up 2014/2015 wrx sti next week... anyone started modding these ?

hopefully be picking my wrx sti 2014/15 model up next weeks or soo, has any one started modding these ? if so in what way will it effect your warrenty ? i'm already thinking induction , exhaust BOV , but think it will totally void my warrenty

It will, that is for sure but in some country you can change the exhaust system to Ferrita (approved by the subaru dealer)

Worth to ask Subaru UK I guess.

Doing a mod will not void the warranty in most cases just the warranty company might say that the mod coursed the damage. So if you changed your exhaust but the electric seat stopped working you could still clam the seat to be fixed under warranty as the mod had nothing to do with the seat.

However getting a remap more more power would void the warranty on just about all the drive systems on the car as you are running more power than the car should be running and you let a 3rd party play with the ecu. 

But again if the part the fails is not due to your mod you should still be covered.

I would have a think about modding such a new car if warranty is important to you. I am not sure if you can take out a private warranty that would cover a modified car. or if you are going to mod the car then dont pay for any warranty's and put the money you saved to one side for non warranty work.

​Finally depending what the mods are and how dishonest you are feeling you can always put the car back to stock if its going in for a big warranty job, But remaps might be detected even if removed. I am not sure. 

Hi mate welcome to S.O.C 

Yes we do have a member on here who has a black one, he's started doing a few mods to his but limited to what's available :( 

Sure last time I see he'd decatted his with a straight through already and done a few other bit's :D 

Hi there. I've got a milltek cat back on mine. My subaru dealer is also a milltek dealer and he says a cat back will not affect your warranty. I can highly recommend the milltek the cars are just too quiet as stock. I was over at the Isle of Man for the TT last week and they use the new sti's as course cars, these things were coming past us flat out, 5 or 6 of them at a time and you can't hear any exhaust noise at all. For me the milltek just compliments the car and let's you hear the motor working without being too loud. I bought mine through Stan palmer subaru at carlisle.

• Like 1

Alex I think they can detect a remap. My dealer said the ecu stores a calibration code. If it goes in for warranty the code is read from the ecu and sent to subaru uk and if it doesn't match their code they know the ecu has been messed with.

Alex I think they can detect a remap. My dealer said the ecu stores a calibration code. If it goes in for warranty the code is read from the ecu and sent to subaru uk and if it doesn't match their code they know the ecu has been messed with.

Yer thought this was the case its different for most cars but as everything is electric on a car make sense the first thing used on one is the laptop.

--

I make Films and Website for people

Hi there. I've got a milltek cat back on mine. My subaru dealer is also a milltek dealer and he says a cat back will not affect your warranty. I can highly recommend the milltek the cars are just too quiet as stock. I was over at the Isle of Man for the TT last week and they use the new sti's as course cars, these things were coming past us flat out, 5 or 6 of them at a time and you can't hear any exhaust noise at all. For me the milltek just compliments the car and let's you hear the motor working without being too loud. I bought mine through Stan palmer subaru at carlisle.

Thats class !!! See i first went to subaru garage in chesire , to buy a brand new one , and they would warrenty anything aslong as it it was bought from them eg remap exhaust etc....(some lucky bugger getting a 500bhp built by them and there honouring the 3 year warrenty) so i think different dealers/Franchise's work differently .

Thats class !!! See i first went to subaru garage in chesire , to buy a brand new one , and they would warrenty anything aslong as it it was bought from them eg remap exhaust etc....(some lucky bugger getting a 500bhp built by them and there honouring the 3 year warrenty) so i think different dealers/Franchise's work differently .

I can't see how they could give warranty on that. The dealers don't approve the warranty claims, maybe they could lie and say that the car came back standard but then they would still have to send of the ecu info

I know i find it hard to believe as well salesman couldnt disclose to much info but he said the customer spending 20k plus on engine , but i got a price on a new one and the was extra's which included re map an exhaust , and they still honour warranty ...

Either way i got a used one so swaying towards just an induction kit , some really nice sounding ones you tube , if i have a problem it's a simple swap to orignal one ( used be a mechanic) . Only thing is loads yanks saying can damage engine puting one on with out a tune , i personal think it's ****** , your ECU constantly adapting to different conditions eg colder air in morning which is more dense what do you think ?

yes it can affect it without map, depends on what it is and how much of an improvement on airflow it is.

Even though the ecu can learn, it can only learn to a limited extent

The perrin intake doesn't require a tune and one of our members sparky is running one. Most of the kits that claim big power gains require a tune probably because there is a lot more air going in and as tidy said the ecu will only correct within a certain range. I've went for a k&n panel filter which probably has very little if any benefits but I do think I can hear the turbo a bit more since I put it in. I'm already at the point where if I was to go any further I would be throwing my warranty away, I'd love to add the milltek downpipe and sports cat and get it mapped to suite but it's a bit of a risk if there's any problems down the line.

That said mine was sold with a 1 year warranty and had a total engine failure that basically had the full engine replaced with new parts. Warranty company wouldn't pay as they only cover the first part that failed in my case the water pump. Lucky I had had it less than 6 months so the dealer had to fix it or give me my money back. The car was standard at the time though.

So warrantys might be nice to have but only if they pay out not sure how good the standard one subaru use is.

--

I make Films and Website for people

I've got the subaru upgraded back boxes and cat back section too all fitted by the dealer so no warranty issue and this adds a nice deep burble and a few extra bhp hopefully - still fairly refined compared to after market exhausts but I like the way it sounds and a Kn panel filter helps slightly too. The cat back section was actually supplied in error by Subaru as mine was one of the first cars in the country (it's a 15 model on a 14 plate) so you can only get the back boxes now from subaru.

I will have it mapped to 340 hp as soon as subaru release an official map though.

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

Just put a set of 19's on her too which look really good with Eibach spacers to give it an aggression stance. Aero body kit added too and some engine dress up parts. Pioneer Apple car play Stereo inside so getting their with the mods :-)

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk