Custom exhaust or Off the shelf (bolt on)

Hi Guys,

So I have been looking for an exhaust for my WRX Hatch and after doing Gambits head in talking about them all day I thought I would see what people have to say.

I am looking at getting a turbo back system going to be a invidia N1 Street or a custom made one.

The guy at the custom place said he can make me up something like the N1 from the pictures. It was going to be about £200-£300 cheaper from him fitted and done on the car.

So am I crazy for still having my eye on the actual N1?

Just wondering what people think about going for a branded tested product or a custom version from someone who is good at what they do.

Money is a factor but not the main one. I am interested in better flow for more power and more sound.

Also the custom place is booked up for 3 wheels but I could have the N1 in a few days.

Thank for any input.

Alex

--

I make Films and Website for people

Personally... I would go down the custom route.

Potential problem with bolt on stuff is that it could still take a bit of work to make fit. My centre pipe didn't line up with my back box very well and took a bit of force to get them to line up (force being to stretch the rubber hangers a bit) so even tho it's a direct bolt on... sometimes it's not as straight forward.

Custom made will more than likely avoid this as it is designed to specifically to your car... will still sound fantastic and cheaper. Sounds like win-win!

Apart from the waiting bit....... that kinda sucks :D

• Like 1

Would I be right in thinking a custom one would sound the same as the invidia? or very close at least as using the same number of resonators and the same size piping?

Just really dont want it to end up sounding crap haha.

Id say be almost be the same a slight note change if the resonators being of a different kind. But think be prwtty nice sound. And also be a one off.

Thanks I have booked it in for the 13th going full turbo back 3 inch so should be a nice system when done. 

I tend to panic when getting anything done custom as I can not research it that much and the first time I see it is after its done. 

Looking forward to, I thought if I wait to long I will just end up waiting forever.

• Like 1

Nice ready for the meet :)

Hope so, should only take a day he said it might be 2 with the downpipe but should just scrape by.

Might hear me coming this time, no more stealth WRX.

Off the shelf from a reputable company I would say. Any decent manufacturer will have done dyno runs and made sure it has performance benefits as well as looks and more sound. A custom exhaust will probably just give more noise and there's more to making a good one than just making it bigger

Off the shelf from a reputable company I would say. Any decent manufacturer will have done dyno runs and made sure it has performance benefits as well as looks and more sound. A custom exhaust will probably just give more noise and there's more to making a good one than just making it bigger

You have me worried now, if I should have gone for the off the shelf. That is what I thought about it, as the invidia one is tested.

--

I make Films and Website for people

• 5 weeks later...

Will you not need a retune to make the most of it. I have had custom on previous cars and tailored to shape tailpipes and sound and performanc . Well worth it. I want to change my resonators as got prodrive system but a bit quiet.