Check engine light!

Hi all! 

Just coming back on the M6 my check engine light came on, no loss of power, steering / braking / boost / heat all fine! 

So limped it home, and checked all fluids and the oil was really low! 

So filled it up, but the check engine light is still on... 

Could the oil low level have done this? and how do I reset it?

Thanks!

No, just a VAG odb2 cable, do you know where I can find some scoob compatible free software I can use with it? 

I'm going to a local garage today to see if they can pickup the code they have an old scanner but not sure if it works, 

Thanks!

Has it been decatted? Could be oil contamination to the cat, stopping it working properly, causing the cel to flash up. I'd take a wild stab in the dark that the oil consumption is probably down to a worn turbo. But that is just a mad guess

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Hi,

Thanks for the reply,

No its standard exhaust with after market back box, 

No smoke from turbo at all... Seems to pull well (apart from slow spool but think thats just the way these engines are haha,

Its booked in for stainless middle section in a few weeks, 

Not sure what to do next, can I live without a center cat? will it reduce performance if I got rid of it? and if I did get rid of it how would I de activate the CEL light for the cat?

The main cat is in the downpipe, you should be fine removing the secondary but it would need to be mapped after. The centre section only contains a resonator, not a cat. The second cat is the short bit after the downpipe. When the car is mapped the cel can be deleted to allow for the decat.

Have you got the option to turn off the cel on your diagnostics?

• Like 1

Never done one so not really fit to comment but i hear its not the easiest bit to do, again will need a remap and it will throw a cel up but this can be mapped out too :-)

Do everything you want and map it in one hit would be best :-) mine runs fine with no cel with a straight thru centre section, prodrive box, k&n, and prodrive y pipe, however, it'd probably be better mapped lol. Got a 2nd decat pipe to go on then I'll get it on the rollers

From what i can gather its not essential on a mild tune although it is helpful so I'll just keep an eye out til something turns up :-)

decat will throw up a CEL on yours anyway, the code could well be a blocked cat. Best bet maybe full decat, y pipe,m fuel pump, panel filter then a map.

Thanks, but what would I do for emissions on the MOT tho?