Dump Valve sounds like its dying

cornish6544

I'd take it off and have a look see if the spring is slack or tight. Check the seal too make sure it's not cracked/split and that it's all tight. Just to rule out the DV is dead. I know I had a cheap one that I was trying to see if the cars would run with one on and it did the same. :( 

Whilst on the subject of dumpvalves, I'm a little confused. Is a dumpvalve and a blow off valve the same thing?? Also is just the valve on it's own fittable/useable or do you have to change hoses and buy a dumpvalve fitting kit for different brands or just a straight bolt on part. (Never changed one before)

Yes mate they're same thing and pretty straight forward to fit on the new age and not too difficult on the classic shapes by the looks of it. 

dump_valve_fitting_diagram.jpg

Fitting Instructions for Classic Impreza’s
  1. Fittment is very simple, your kit should have obviously a dump valve (DV) in it, a blanking plug and sometimes a new silicone hose to go from the DV to the intake manifold.
  2. The idea is to remove your old DV (RED DOT ON PIC). Make sure you note the way it goes on, there should be an arrow on your factory DV, this will come in handy if you ever wanted to go back to standard.
  3. Once removed you will see that the DV has 2 pipe connections x1 to the intercooler (BLUE DOT ON PIC) and x1 to the intake (GREEN DOT ON PIC).
  4. Your new DV goes to the Intercooler pipe (BLUE DOT ON PIC). Make sure that it is clamped to the pipe or jubilee clipped.
  5. The blanking plug in your kit blanks off the hole in the intake return pipe (GREEN DOT ON PIC). Make sure that it is clamped or jubilee clipped.
  6. Then if you have a new silicone hose just swap that for the one that went from the intake manifold to the DV on your factory DV (YELLOW DOT ON PIC).
  7. Make sure everything is tight and secure then go for a run and see what you think.
  • Like 2

Cheers, will be a few weeks yet, I'm upgrading exhaust soon and then a dumpvalve. These are the 2 main things I'm wanting to change from stock really. I'm thinking baileys at the minute but I'm mainly after the noise of the dump. Not sure what the differences are such as circulating/non circulating etc.