first subaru

cragsmythe

Hello everyone.

Just got my first Subaru wrx 2.5 07 plate. The missus has had 4 2litre turbos previous to this.

Love the car, puts a smile on your face driving it!

Out in it yesterday and the missus seems to think its running a bit hot. Temp gauge sits between half and three quarters whereas she said all her others sat bang in the middle. Can hear the fan kick in when sat idling. Only had the car a week, fsh and under rac warranty. Is there an underlying problem or is this ok. Feels like having a new baby and being a bit over cautious haha. Any advice welcome. Thanks Craig

Hi and welcome Craig,

I'm not a mechanic or an expert, but pretty good all around as DIY mechanic etc.

If it was my car,for peace of mind I'd probably take it just get it checked out, especially as you have warranty on

the car.

It might be nothing, but last thing you need is a sauna while you're sat at traffic lights etc :ph34r:.

I've run Subaru's for the last 12 years, although not had an Impreza yet.

My cars have all run approx 1/3 to 1/2 on temp gauge even in summer.

Update the forum when you've got your answer.

Welcome to the club!

That does sound way too high, at least you've got the warranty to get it sorted. It's also best to get the temperature sorted before it causes any serious damage

Not so good news anymore! Was concerned when I didn't get the call to pick it up yesterday. Just got off the phone and worst fear confirmed. Head gasket!! He said head doesn't need skimming as it's just the gasket that's cracked. Thought that was standard? I could be wrong!

I now wonder whether I want the car back, last car I had head gasket replaced on it went again 1 month later. Could've been a bad job. He's assured me the car will be better than ever?!

Gutted.

headgasket on a 2.5 is full rebuild mate inc bottom, don't accept anything less. Sounds like who ever has advised that is clueless.

ask for a full rebuild or your money back and walk away

Who's the warranty with?

Have a look at the very small print for exclusions etc and get some professional advice before they try and fob you off when

you mention a rebuild

Could anybody help me out sharpish with regards to what exactly needs replacing/checking when head gasket cracks? Just had garage back on phone and they want me to pay £70 for new cambelt while cars in bits! I've said I thought it should be included along with new tensioners and a few other bits and bobs. Could do with some help on the other bits and bobs so I don't look a !Removed! when I speak to him later! Think the sticking point could be between what needs to be done, and what should be done.

Sounds like they're trying to fob you off mate, with a cheap and cheerful remedy.

Check if any of the forum members are local to you, and have the knowledge to go and support you for the showdown ??

Just tell the garage you're not prepared to haggle and ask for your money back, no arguments and look for another motor.

Go to Citizens Advice and get some free advice, don't wear accept anything less.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the car back after 18days!! Proper job apparently. Both head gaskets changed, new belt and tensioners etc. Temperature gauge still sits just above two thirds. Mentioned that to garage again and told that's fine. Had a decent run out in it yesterday, about 150 mile round trip. Runs okay, but on more than one occasion the car started stinking really bad, mix of burning smell and sulphur. Had to open the windows!! Couple of mins and it disappeared. Probably happened 4 times on the journey! Is that relevant to any work that's been done or is the car still knackered?!