New Subaru Forester Owner! I have some questions -)

Paul_JJ

Are you ready for a sit down, if it's the same purple maf as mine it's about 350 quid ! As you need to but the whole unit as opposed to the drop in element [emoji22] I'll dig out part no on the lambda for you in a min

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I use 98 ron fuel at all times.

The plugs has been done before me according to the service manual. As I understand it's not that easy to access them even just to have a look at them, is there any special tools needed to do the plugs?

Here is the link to Serial Number of the pollen filter for 97 T/Tb imported from Japan.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Vbaaq09prgPvWKwB5bx9Us_Jfzl1cqQgeshTL2PyYkw?feat=directlink

Yes the ECU has been reset, also I haven't done a lot of miles since then probably about 100 ish. 

THe HT leads looks like aftermarket ones and in very good condition, most likely has been replaced not long ago, blue colour. I don't know if the original ones are blue colour as well? Fuel filter has been replaced, but it was the aftermarket one!

Does anyone know what is the standard FUEL pressure on these cars? (With and without the VAC line) and what is the GOOD RPM on idle when the engine is COLD and when HOT?

Where is the PCV valve located and how much are they?

The warm idle should be on a sticker on the bonnet, think for auto's it's about 800-850rpm, cold idle I see anything up to 1500 which drops to 700-750 (manual)

As for fuel pressure no idea i'm sure someone will know though

Pcv valve is down between the turbo to ic hose and corner of the block, I'll put up a pic, no idea how much new ones are but US sites have them listed at about $25

Do you know the part number for the PCV valve by any chance?

The fuel pressure is important to find out for me, surely someone would have the idea, as I want to test the fuel pump. Also what is the fuel pump part number (or what kind of replacement would you recommend?)

Thank you!

Not got a clue on the part number, I've been looking at changing mine so I may ring subaru tomorrow if I get chance, most people stick higher flow pumps in depends on if you want to have the car remapped at a later date, I went for a Roger Clarke pump but there are others available, probably best to get a gasket what ever you decide to do, (these are cheaper from the US) I'll pop a part number up for that.

I don't plan any remap in the future, I'm happy the way it is -) Just want the car to be as reliable as possible.

One moment I flood the accelerator and nothing happens at all, the rpm starts to slowly increase just a bit if I touched it lightly, but if I let it go and slam it again - there will be a punch and really good acceleration. The RPM on IDLE is stable - usually spark plugs and ignition leads will result to bad RPM jumping up and down as I've experienced in the past with Toyota I used to have. And it wouldn't pull that good either, I blame either fuel pump or some kind of a sensor, TPS? MAP?

Any idea about code 25??? It's missing here - http://uk.subaruownersclub.com/forums/topic/2366-Manually-Reading-ECU-Codes

Replaced the Lambda sensor, MAF sensor, Alternator, ALL fluids - still have a problem - flood the accelerator and nothing happens, just slow acceleration as if I was just slightly touching the accelerator... Then I floor it again and it pull like a train then.... THE RPM is stable, no drop on idle.

If your not going for a map then an oem one from a reputable source would be fine,

The problems with ours is they are mapped for 100 Ron fuel so it could be a case of it just hesitating due to chucking too much fuel in, before I had mine done it ran very rich to the point where I may as well have just poured fuel down the drain,

I'm nit really clued up with the auto box set up, I'll have a poke around, sorry didn't get chance to ring subaru for a pcv price

If you'll get me a PCV part number, that would be fantastic.

I think it's sensor related or some kind - code 25 is a mystery still, but possible outcome - engine torque control signal - didn't know that there is such sensor, but that would explain why I floor the accelerator and nothing happens...

To be honest with you I don't really keep tabs any more,

Per map was about 20-22 urban, and 28-30 long runs

Now a days it's up around 26-28 mpg urban and longer runs I can see up to 34mpg,

I'm waiting for the ecu to relearn the fueling as I got a new maf before Christmas and have put about a tank through it so far,

On Monday I'll reset trip and stick my usual 30 quid in see how far it gets me till next fill up, I never really let the needle drop below the 1/4 line

Looks like a Re-Map was a good idea....

On average I get around 20 on the moorway and about 15 mpg in city at it's best... So I wonder what the problem is, considering that I have a brand new Lambda and MAF I would expect a better mpg... How about a MAP sensor? where is it located and have you replaced it in the past?