New Subaru Forester Owner! I have some questions -)

Paul_JJ

Tools needed,

trolley jack or axel stands, Turkey baster, and some dexron 3 atf fluid

Lift the front end up but make sure you can apply lock to the wheels, pull out as much oil as you can refill with new stuff, turn the wheels till no bubbles come out lower and top up the level if needed

• Like 1

Thank you made a good info.

Did you mean turn the steering wheel may be? not the wheels -)

I wasn't sure if such method would work but if you say so I would definitely give it a try!

On 1/3/2016 at 11:56 PM, stants said:

Like those wheels, been trying to find a set, was told they were for the Canadian market only so gave up in the end

These are exactly the same wheels on Japanese advert -) so I bet they were JDM ones

Has anyone tried ICP fuel pumps? the ICP claims that it's the exact copy of RCM, but with different label. Anyone had any experience with them?

ICP/RL 340LPH INTANK FUEL PUMP £91.50

ICP - ImportCarParts.co.uk

I'm about to get quite a few bits from them, but still can't decide about the pump. Also I'm shopping around and trying to get a good deal,  can anyone recommend any other shops who sell parts for our cars?

• 4 weeks later...

It's good to hear from you -)

I want to replace all the bushes, which I have ordered already. Finding all the part numbers for the bushes wasn't easy -)

Also the following:

PCV VALVE £10.50

THERMOSTAT £13.50

FRONT ARB LINKS (ICP HEAVY DUTY TYPE) £16.95

REAR ARB LINKS (ICP HEAVY DUTY) £25.99

IN CAR TEMP GAUGE SENSOR £7.99

ICP ENGINE MOUNT RUBBER SET £39.95

Subaru Forester 2.0T EJ20G Import ECU Coolant Temperature Sensor- £14.50

Knock sensor - Genuine Subaru Parts: 22060AA061 - £58.50

K&N air filter - was unable to get a quote from ICP, probably they don't sell it.

The coolant sensors work for me, but too slow to react, takes like 5 min before it shows that engine is warm also you can feel that it's proper hot, even if it's  +20c outside... There is warm air blowing though, so thermostat is most likely working OK.

The engine mounts I want to replace because on my old toyota the manifold was leaking because of the engine mounts -) I replaced 3 manifold including brand new and they were all leaking, so I replaced the mounts with TRD and then the problem was solved! And now it looks like my gasket is leaking on the up pipe, still didn't get the time to sort it out.

I'm looking for a second set of alloys as well, if you know of any for sale that would be interesting.

The temp sensor takes ages, mine will be showing 40-50° on the secondary gauge bust won't even be half way up on the dash display, 80-90° is half way on the gauge and even when the water Temps cheap up to 95ish it still doesn't move any higher than the middle, pretty useless tbh

You'll need a deep wall 19mm for the pcv valve, still waiting to fit my new one as I need to buy a socket.

What kind of budget do you have in mind for the alloys ? There's plenty out there and if your not going to drop the car on its !Removed! impreza ones fit just, you need to check for clearance on the rears struts

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Good advise here as usual! Thank you.

The budget is around £200, I'm only interested in 16 inch, preferably light weight -) No need to drop the car, I like 200 mm clearance, so it's best to keep it that way and improve comfort. I passed the stage of coilovers, not it's time to have some comfort and safety.

I think overtime these temp sensors get's wont out somehow therefore they take too long to show the readings.

My alternator is started to screaming again, only on the cold start....... also I have replaced the alternator in November and this is a new belt as well, I wonder if that has something to do with the Battery as I was washing the car the other day and had my Stereo on for a few hours and it drained all the Battery...

Have you tested the ICP track rod ends by any chance? Can anyone give a feedback please?

I want to replace mine as well as the other related parts at the same time, so I don't have to pay for the tracking twice -)

http://www.importcarparts.co.uk/parts-info.asp?id=1869

http://www.importcarparts.co.uk/parts-info.asp?id=1871

http://www.importcarparts.co.uk/parts-info.asp?id=1872

I presume the would be OK all the rest of the stuff I've bought from ipc has been good quality,

I doubt there's much difference between them and other aftermarket ends

• Like 1

I don't like phone calls -) email is the best, got a history this way!

Did he ask you for a bank transfer as well??? I offered him Paypal as they trade on eBay surely they have Paypal account!

No transfer, last time I ordered on the phone it was a maf & knock sensor just took card payment over phone, best bit was the maf had been reduced by 40 quid but website hadn't been updated to reflect it

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hey.

Ordered quite a few sensors, some suspensions and steering related parts, hopefully next week my mechanic will have a free day for me -)

Does anyone know the correct torque settings for the following sensors:

Knock sensor

Coolant Temperature for ECU sensor

Camshaft sensor

Crankshaft sensor

I hope that one of these sensors will fix my error 25 code for the gearbox... And the Coolant Sensors just too slow, to react, so I figured it would save me some cash on petrol if I replace these sensors as well.

Knock sensor is low, around 24nm (do not over tighten) as can cause cracking and bust the new sensor, as for the others not sure but Google will point you in right direction

• 3 weeks later...

Replaced the Knock sensor - MPG improved by about 10%.

Replaced the PCV valve - can't comment on the changes.

Replaced all the bushes/drop links/steering rod/racks - handles better, but rather too stiff and steering feels heavier as well. During the tracking the Forester 1997 wasn't available so we used 1999 and now it pulls to the right, even though I have a print out where is everything in the green zone after the tracking...

Will be replacing remaining sensors soon as the hold is still flashing and it is related to some engine sensor(s)...

Apart from the PCV valve is there anything else I should check/replace in regards to the emissions/fuel systems?

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone with SF forester provide a print out of their tracking? I just want to compare mine as I feel like mine could be improved since the mechanic was unable to find the 97 turbo forester and used the 99 N/A Forester setting for the tracking.

• 3 months later...
On 1/4/2016 at 11:56 PM, stants said:

Like those wheels, been trying to find a set, was told they were for the Canadian market only so gave up in the end

I don't think that was only for Canadian Market since the same wheels present on the JDM subaru advert -)))))))) so these are the original wheels!

• 2 months later...