Auto headlamps

Rizmo

My auto headlamps only work in the dark (as expected), but not in the fog or rain. Before I take it back, to see if the sensor sensitivity is too low, do any others find the lights reluctant to come on?

Oddly, in the summer, the lights always came on, when the sun was still shining, but at the official lighting up time. So, are the lights also paired with the clock?

My lights work as expected and they DO come on if there's heavy rain (though not in the fog).

They seem to be more accurate than the auto wipers.

The manual says the sensitivity can be adjusted either by the dealer, or if you have the multi function display you may be able to do it yourself (not sure if that applies to UK models though).

Also bear in mind the sensor is on the dash near the windscreen and if anything's obscuring it, the lights may come on prematurely.

Sounds like a trip to the dealer, but not urgent, as I can still manually switch them on (oh, the hardship - lol). I agree about the wipers too, mine refuse to work when I start the car, if the screen is wet, unless I do a manual wipe first. Been told the sensor has to "see" rain falling on it, and can't do it if already wet. Again, switching the wipers on, is no big deal.

• 3 weeks later...

The light sensor is up in the box behind the rear view mirror. If you turn on the engine and go outside and put your hand over it the lights will come on. The sensor only work based on brightness, therefore it may not work if foggy or rainy unless it gets dark enough to hit the threshold. Increasing the sensitivity could result in the lights coming on as you pass through shadows under trees etc so be careful with that.

• Like 1

The light sensor is up in the box behind the rear view mirror. If you turn on the engine and go outside and put your hand over it the lights will come on. The sensor only work based on brightness, therefore it may not work if foggy or rainy unless it gets dark enough to hit the threshold. Increasing the sensitivity could result in the lights coming on as you pass through shadows under trees etc so be careful with that.

Hey you're right - the sensor is actually behind the mirror - I just checked it.

My owners manual still insists it's on the dashboard ! (section 3.90)