Subaru service rip-off

kvz2000

Hi,

My 2012 XV diesel was due its annual service so I contacted the dealer and was quoted £500 !!!! I then shopped around and Halfords Servce Centre quoted £191 using top quality parts and stated that using them would not affect my warranty .

As I have had a noise issue with the xv since I purchased it ( diff I thought ) I returned to my dealer to have it checked again, the dealer owner took it for a test drive and confirmed that the noise was not acceptable and it requires further examination , when he asked about the service that was due I told him that I had used Halfords as I felt £500 was too expensive , he was not happy and stated that if the " Subaru man" came to oversee / agree warranty work and the car had not been serviced using genuine Subaru parts them my warranty would be void .i told him that Halfords state in writing that they use parts of an equivalent quality and their servicing does not affect the warranty.

I'm back at dealer tomorrow so will see what transpires but I am very disappointed with the attitude of the dealer , its just a rip off and Subaru trying to bully people into paying over the odds for work.

I was also told of a person that had a 9 year old Subaru , forrester I think, it needed an exhaust and only Subaru supply this item and they charged £1100 for it.

Not the type of experience that would get you recommending the products. Have had the exhaust cost from dealer come up before in a thread, getting a stainless one made up from someone like longlife was recommended as you get lifetime guarantee for less cost

Halfords state that they use quality parts that compare with anything used by main dealers, I can see the oil filter is a Mann part , also the warranty issue is either a wheel bearing or rear diff issue so I see no reason why a different make of filter could affect the bearing, I'm not just complaining about Subaru I'm sure most main dealers will try and trick customers into getting their services done by dealer, if anything a main dealer should be cheaper doing the service as they will get the parts cheaper and have already made a small fortune on the sale of the car so could cut back on the servicing profits ...just can't get my head round £500 for a service

Subaru dealers will have massive overheads, hopefully better paid and brand specific trained employees. The mark up on new cars now is relatively low and most dealers make more on finance deals.

I'm not saying to use Subaru, it's a free world, however I wouldn't trust Halfords to change a bulb. Heard some real horror stories. Plus if a cars under warranty then main dealer servicing is worthwhile (in my opinion) and maintains resale value.

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

Subaru dealers will have massive overheads, hopefully better paid and brand specific trained employees. The mark up on new cars now is relatively low and most dealers make more on finance deals.

I'm not saying to use Subaru, it's a free world, however I wouldn't trust halfords to change a bulb. Heard some real horror stories. Plus if a cars under warranty then main dealer servicing is worthwhile (in my opinion) and maintains resale value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't praise Halfords Service Centre high enough , carried out work on time and as quoted,

Well back from Subaru Dealer and have to say a little annoyed / concerned, the wheel bearing was at fault and has been replaced and the whine has disappeared far better driving experience now , I just wish they had accepted there was a fault 8 months ago which would have saved me a lot of hassle. However a new issue has arisen , after telling me that the work would be covered under the warranty, when I went to collect it the lady said that it might not be covered by warranty as there is 20k miles between my last two services, both are within the parameters shown in the service stamp box ie under 36k miles and 3 years and under 48k miles and 4 years, the issue seems to come from the 3 year service being well below the mileage allowed ...

This might be difficult for posters to follow but I think the garage are saying that there should not be such a large mileage covered between services but I can't see anywhere in the service manual that comments on this and the dealer only contacted me on or near the annual date of servicing.

I have pointed out that if the car had been sorted when I first highlighted the fault then the mileage would not have been an issue, I have since emailed them asking why they carried out the work and then informed me of a potential issue re warranty which deprived me of the opportunity to cancel the work .

All good fun , not . The other small problem with the car that I thought I would have them look at while it was in was a very very squeaky rear seat , they state that Subaru are aware of this problem but its £80 to fix , again if its a Subaru fault why should the customers pay.

Will be interesting if Subaru Dealer try and bill me for the repairs !!! I'll update on here

I'm lost.

so you're saying you have a 20k mile difference between services?

I thought it's 12month or 10k miles.. which ever comes first?

Like I'm only on 32k miles but my next service at the end of the month will be stamped as the 7th yr in my service book. (70k miles or 84 months)

and to be fair I use main dealer in sheffield and have never paid over the odds on service price.. plus i get a nice SUBARU stamp in my book ;)

Is this what a 48k service includes? Is there anything missing?

Replace engine oil per specifications for your model

Replace filter with Genuine Subaru Oil Filter

Replace oil drain gasket

Check and top off all fluids

Inspect and set tire pressures

Complete Multi-point inspection

I'm lost.

so you're saying you have a 20k mile difference between services?

I thought it's 12month or 10k miles.. which ever comes first?

Like I'm only on 32k miles but my next service at the end of the month will be stamped as the 7th yr in my service book. (70k miles or 84 months)

and to be fair I use main dealer in sheffield and have never paid over the odds on service price.. plus i get a nice SUBARU stamp in my book ;)

It's a little difficult to explain , like you I remember the 12 months or 12 k whichever comes first, but I've read through my service booklet and it makes no reference to that ,what it does say is 12 months or 12k miles, then 24 months or 24k miles etc etc, and even though I have done 20k between my last two services I am still within the 48months or 48k miles..hope your keeping up , the higher number of miles is due to the 36month service being done on time but with only 28k miles so the next indicator for the next service was 48k miles or 48 months and that's what's been done .

Is this what a 48k service includes? Is there anything missing?

Replace engine oil per specifications for your model

Replace filter with Genuine Subaru Oil Filter

Replace oil drain gasket

Check and top off all fluids

Inspect and set tire pressures

Complete Multi-point inspection

Halfords do what they call a 70 point service and include minor things like lubricate the door locks , clean and grease Battery terminals , strip down,clean and grease all brakes... To me it's all a bit of a rip off as from the Subaru service booklet they include items to be adjusted,replaced, inspected or perform( which I imagine is check it's working) so they are charging you for switching on the wipers , lights , horn etc and making sure they work !! So beside each check they have an A for adjust. R for replace , I for inspect, or P for perform.

Drive belts. I

Engine oil . R

Oil filter. R

Cooling system. I

Fuel filter. R

Air filter. R

Reset dash info. P

SSM check ? I

Clutch. I

Diff oils etc. R

Brake/clutch fluid. R

Oil door hinges. I

Fuel lines. I

Brakes. I

Park brake. I

Brake lines. I

Axle shaft joints. I

Steering. I

Suspension. I

Lights. I

Wipers. I

Washers. I

Rotate wheels. P

Tyres. I

That's it , so they replace oils and filters the rest is labour charges £500 . Many people are happy to pay these prices I'm not , also my car only has 2 months warranty left and for me the only reason I used the main dealer was for warranty but when I read the small print on the Subaru Warrant Book it states " you are responsible for taking your SUBARU to an officially appointed dealer or a reputable service agent "

Reputable service agent for me again only because of warranty , next service will be done by myself for cost of oil and filters £50-80

So they saying its been overserviced?

No , they are saying there should not have been so many miles (20k) between last service and recent one , the only problem I can see is that the 2 year service was done on time but with only 9600 miles instead of the expected 24k miles , then the 3 year service again done on time but with only 28k miles instead of the expected 36k, then during the next year we have obviously done a rake of miles ,but all that was in my mind was the service due date 4 year which was done on time with the car mileage at 48k.

Even the dealer sends out their service reminder latter on the anniversary of the car , and even thought there is a complex digital computer on the car that can send happy birthday messages , why does it not keep an eye on the mileage to warn when service due ?

I think you are missing diff/gearbox oils, fuel filter air filter, oil dilution reset using ssm3/4, front and rear brake strip and clean and handbrake/park brake adjustment and anti corrosion warranty check over

servicing is 12 months or 12k miles which ever comes first so if a service had been done at 28k it would be one year or 12k from that point. its not wait until 48k or 48 months.

with your xv being a 20012 model off the top of my head it will have a 3 year or 60k which ever comes first unless there was an offer on at time of purchase for 5 years - how long have you had the car?

• Like 1

I think you are missing diff/gearbox oils, fuel filter air filter, oil dilution reset using ssm3/4, front and rear brake strip and clean and handbrake/park brake adjustment and anti corrosion warranty check over

servicing is 12 months or 12k miles which ever comes first so if a service had been done at 28k it would be one year or 12k from that point. its not wait until 48k or 48 months.

with your xv being a 20012 model off the top of my head it will have a 3 year or 60k which ever comes first unless there was an offer on at time of purchase for 5 years - how long have you had the car?

You sound just like a dealer !!!

You sound just like a dealer !!!

I do work for a dealer, not ashamed to say that.  i also missed brake fluid change off my list as well and the correct c2/c3 spec oil if its a diesel, it is nearly 11pm

What i was getting at was Halfords sound like they have done the equivalent of the 12 k service not the major service as stated in the service book.  thats why there is such a major difference in prices. Comparing apples with pears. how much do Halfords charge to do all items listed R and P in the book, im sure the price will increase quite a bit and wont be too far off a dealer.

They will always be lower due to lower labour rate/less over heads im not going to contest that in the slightest but we will do our best to get close to the price on a like for like basis

Alex

• Like 1

Servicing should be done every 10 - 12k miles (depending on car). If you do many miles then it will just be every year.

So if you get you car serviced and after 6 months you have done another 12k miles it will need another service even though it hasn't been a year. Leaving the same oil in for over the recommended mileage could cause damage as it loses its lubrication (viscosity).

Hope that helps see why the dealer isn't happy about such a bit different in mileage between services :).

• Like 1

I'm think I'm now following what's going on.

between services 20k miles have been covered (in a twelve month period)

so in effect a serviced had been missed as it should have been done at 12k miles.

as said earlier.. if you cover 12k miles in 8month of the year.. you service it then. You wouldn't wait till 12 months when you could have 16k+ miles.

Like me who only does 3k a year. I service each year. I'm not waiting 4yrs for a service as I'll have racked up 12k miles by them.