classic suburu wheel sizes advice please

lev1982

Hi guys, 

Joined a few days ago and the advice I have had is great. I have searched the forum a bit for this answer but no definite. 

I have a 1996 scooby wrx import lightweight chassis. It is on 15s and I have secured a set of 16s for it that will be on it next week.

My question is what is the best wheel size to get for handling purposes. It's yet to be dyno but I would like to get it up to about 330hp

Looking for ppl experience on this. I'm not after bigger wheels for looks etc so if 16s are good so am I. 

Thanks guys

Screenshot_2016-01-19-23-05-20-1.png

I'm probably gonna go with toyo. Used to use them on my m3 and loved them. No point in having a car like this and going budget on such an important part of the car. Went budget once years ago and ended up replacing them after about 2 weeks cause it changed the handling of the car so much.

Looks like the 16s are it's new shoes then. 😀 thanks for the help. Scooby ghost. 

The 15s just scared me a little lol

My brv had a set of 18's for a while , they ruined the ride and handling so he switched back to 17's . I've never run anything but 17's so couldn't say what the 16's are like .

If you do intend on uprating the brakes to 4 pots on the front at a later date, make sure the 16's you buy will clear them [emoji6]

If it's not broke .....upgrade it 😊

• Like 1

I have eagle gsd3 on at the minute and would always go back to them but they seem to have discontinued my size so found a reaosnably priced set of prizes T1R that I will go for. Heard toyos have soft sidewalls though? That's the only thing holding me back.

• Like 1

I've got firestone firehawks on the front (which seem ok)

And some "ying sing ditch finders" on the back as they were on the car when I got it and still have plenty of tread [emoji16]

the back end steps out before the front atm (which I prefer ) but I'll probably stick some new firestones on the front when the ditch finders are done .As I don't seem to be scrubbing the corners off them as much as the previous kuhmo extradas

A Whiteline rear arb is a worthwhile cheap handling upgrade to lessen body roll

• Like 2

I haven't tried loads of different tyres and I do tend to scrub Uber soft compound tyres out on the edges before I've really done any miles .So I normally only get middle compound and cost tyres tbh .

I've had a look where I got them from and I think they were the sz90's on this page ...... http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/rshop.pl?dsco=110&cart_id=88296795.110.8868&sowigan=So&Breite=215&Quer=45&Felge=17&Speed=W&kategorie=6&Marke=&ranzahl=4&tyre_for=PKW&x_tyre_for=&suchen=Show%20tyres&sort_by=brand&rsmFahrzeugart=PKW&search_tool=standard&weiter=30.....

They deliver to your door or tyre fitter of your choice .have a squint at the other ones on there to get a idea of cost and choice but bear in mind I don't know much about tyres [emoji23]

• Like 1

Mine has the strut braces so that's one expense I haven't got. Yes once I hit the 280ish bhp mark I will be upgrading the stoppers. It has some quality discs on at the mo and when I do put her on the road it will only be town driving really. Once I have the few things sorted and tidied up that's when I want to go have a play at track days. That's when I will find out how much my !Removed! grabs the seat when using the brakes haha. The wheels are off my mates type ra and with 4 good tread tyres on only cost me £30 he upgraded to 17s so if I need a new set come brake upgrade time I haven't wasted any money. 

Thanks for the link savage will go look now. Tyres are a minefield.

I went for vredestein on my m3 before the toyo not a cheap tyre at the time but it was like driving on ice with them almost killed me. More important almost killed my car.

Rear arb? Sorry been out of the car world for a while. Anti roll bar? 

Wow mate love your classic. Hope i can get mine looking that good.

I don't know what to do colour wise on mine.

Keep it silver

Ice white

Or go with something you don't really see scoobys in just to be different. At the mo I am looking at white just because I like them looking like they should 😊

• Like 1

Colours for me would be white or the gun metal grey!! Looks lovely!!!!

I'm getting the alloys done on mine ASAP as they were silver, and I sprayed them white to see what it was like and looks good, just need them done properly now so I can clean them better than in the pic above!!! Lol :biggrin:

Yeah if your running sub 300hp (especially with a small tdo4) you can cause lag when fitting a fmic. As you've got a bigger core and about 4 mtrs of extra pipework to fill back up with boost before it reaches the inlet manifold.

When running a bigger turbo and mapped correctly the fmic to tmic lag difference is minimal

V3/v4 tmic's are good for 330hp ish before the heatsoak becomes a issue and you need a fmic [emoji6]