over heating problem

Uncle Tashie

so ive had my wrx, Suzanna, for about 2 weeks now and it over heats.

it's not like a water pump issue where it is fine stuck in traffic but over heats when its on a drive,

I don't think its a head gasket issue cause it doesn't over heat when its running sitting still,

when I go for an enjoyable run through some back lanes she sits at half way up the temp gauge but if I get stuck behind a slower moving car she begins to warm up, but once she it back up to cruising speed she stops going up and becomes stationary, both fans work but the coolant seems to disappear.

if I keep her high in the rev rang in a low gear so I can hear her roar through built up areas, at legal speeds, the temp will stay in the middle but steam will start appearing out the bonnet and I can smell the coolant to the extent that the other half moans.

Suzanna had her cambelt changed the day before I picked her u but I don't know if her water pump was done at the same time.

the coolant look like its coming from the top of the rad by the cap, i've changed the cap for and sti 1.3bar cap which has stopped the coolant coming from there but it still looks like its coming from that area, are the standard radiators prone to leaking around the radiator caps or where the ali core is folded onto the plastic?

thanks for taking the time to read this and any help or advice will be greatly appreciated

uncle tashie

Do you know if the thermostat has been changed recently? That may be your issue. If you want to check for head gasket a primitive way would be to check for bubbles in the expansion tank. A more accurate way is by sniff test. That will show if exhaust gases are mixing with coolant which is the most common way the head gasket goes. Check for oil mixing with water too. If the water is being pushed out the system it's possible it's being pressurised by something and air shouldn't be able to get in. Check for leaks on the radiator as that's another weak spot. What year is your car?

Hi there, I had exactly the same issue.....

i had a very small pin hole in one of my hoses which caused the same thing..... It's a common problem if the hoses haven't been changed.

try and locate the small hole quickly as this will be putting extra wear on the engine, then best thing to do is replace the water hoses, I did. It only took half a day to remove and add the new ones. Now she's running fine again. When your there you might want to replace the thermostat as well for an extra £12 then you know that's fine too then.

any probs, give us a shout :thumbup:

Dan

• Like 1

I found my leak yesterday, its coming from the radiator underneath a mounting point for anther cooling hose so ive just ordered a mishimoto x-line radiator and some radiator stays cant wait for them to arrive. should really do a thread on my car..........need to get some photos of it first.......

• Like 3