Just found me expansion tank empty. Should i be worried ?

It was full when i bought it in june now the cars had all it's belts changed at start of month so could they hav not topped it up after service ? There's been no sign of leakage parked up no mayo n oil cap and the temp gauge hasn't ever gone above half way. Just stopped and bought some de ionisd water topped back up. Off to dentist so i'll check what th leves are like when i get back out. Am i being over paranoid ?

it varies dependant on how much is pulled back from the over flow reservoir when you stop or if non over flowed during last session it could be lower

update,

car sat for a couple hours, under rad cap is full but it's drunk just under an inch from expansion bottle, if filled it up and am going to let it sit all day and walk to work, check it again in the evening that way i can be sure there isn't an external leak,

i've just scared myself silly by googling head gasket failure, car doesn't smoke and there didn't appear to be anything in the oil  so fingers crossed

may have air in system and that water has taken it's place just remember to also check it when it's warmed and ran for a bit as the hotter it gets the more chance you will get to find leak if you have one just remember to carry water to top up so you can get it home. I usually check car at work so I know it will cool down so I can refill, this way you don't hav to wait round.

• Like 1

Cheers guys, one last thing beforw i head to bed and have horrible nightmares.

Which hoses need to come off for the belt change ?

I've been downstairs and run it for 10 mins it got warm and the top hose was hot. A few little bubbles appeard in expansion which makes me think air lock too.

I'll check the levels in the morning and if needs be put heaters on and burp the bottom hose see if that fixes the problem

I've just posted a how to get air out guide on another thread, if you can't find it let me know and I'll have a look for you

When running up to temp don't forget the status only fully opens when the fans have kicked in, this gets water round the whole system and will give you more of an idea of what's what

As for how much water, doesn't matter if it's deionized or not bit NEVER put cold water in a hot empty engine

If you fill it to the brim it will get rid of any excess it doesn't need, I keep a 2 litre bottle of water in the boot just incase

The car has lost a little water overnight

Spoken to hebden bridge subaru on phone today and the have said check water pump as i've had all the belts changed. And some times this causes the pump to fail. Or leak, How easy is it to get the plastic surrounds off to see everything ?

They also said a sniff test won't show much up on subarus. Something about water to water pressure so if the gasket does go more likely to have over flowing expansion bottle.and general badness but not much coolant loss.

I'm hoping it's something cheap ish as opposed to engine out job.

So i'm gonna hav the car on stands tonight follow the advice he's given me anout expelling any unwanted air and check the water pump

!Removed! ! I'll take under tray off and see if anything drips or i can see leakage from there. Which aux belts is it ? A/c and ps ? I really didn't want to start puling everything apart

Without going looking under the car I can't remember which side it's on, it's not that hard getting the aux belts off though, I have an undertray for mine, it lives in the back garden so makes things easier lol

Haha. Yeah i nipped home on me dinner to see what i could see. Bottom hose appears to go into pump just off centre to the right as you look at the car.

I reckon once i've removed the undertray i will be able to see if there is any water leakage from the pump housing as it's easier to see from underneath don't think i'll have to remove the belts either : )

The chap says as the rad had to come out check condition of the bottom hose and fit while i'm there

I take it gravity will play it's part and the water will leak from the bottom if there is any

If you see any wet spots under the car, best way to check if it's coolant is dip finger and taste, antifreeze/coolant has a sweetness to it which makes it easier to distinguish from washer fluid or rain water

Spent an hour uderneath car and generally trying to work things out. Topped up resivior and leveled expansion bottle from cold started car up rad cap off nothing untowards squeezed bottom hose for ages loads of bubbles came out continued to top up. Repressurised system ran for a bit fans kicked in bottom hose got hot no leaks from anywhere underneath.

Temp gauge stayed where it always has

Bit of white smoke think its condensation so off for a test drive, hopefully it's all good fingers cossed

• Like 2