2006 Impreza R Sport wants WRX or STI wheels - do they fit?

2006 Impreza R Sport wants WRX or STI wheels - do they fit?

hi there I've just bought the above car and decided that the standard 16" (I think) wheels don't really fill the arches and am wondering if I can change them for standard WRX or STI wheels from the same year model.

im sure they will probably bolt straight on but the car handles great as it is and I am always cautious about ill-informed home modifications so I don't want to change them if it will upset the cars handling and / or foul the bodywork in any way.

does anyone have an accurate answer please?

thanks in advance.

P

Edited by Phil R
typo
  • Like 1

Wotcha and welcome - check the PCD to confirm but ill wager the STI rims will not fit due to having a different hub. My 08 sport has a PCD fitment of 100 x 5 I believe the STI has a PCD of 114 x 5 and as such the wheels are not inter changeable without an adapter plate

With a smaller tyre wall you will get a slightly stiffer ride, potentially less lateral movement of the tyre during hard cornering should improve the feel etc.

to fill out the arches on mine I have just invested in 20mm spacers - that is a possible alternative if you like the wheels and ride you currently have

Hello and thank you for the welcome and advice. I suspected that it would not be a simple change over without some impact - my car is after all just a simple 160hp 4x4 saloon and not a well researched rally champion like it's bigger and more expensive siblings. 😀

the wheels on mine work fine but I can't help but feel that the blown arches look a bit uninhabited so I thought that an extra inch of rim and an inch or two of width would be just the ticket but if it will cause me distress down the line then maybe I best leave things as the experts at Subaru designed it. I do a lot of motorway miles as well as plenty of wet and muddy country lanes which the car manages both very well so perhaps the old saying 'if it ain't broke don't fix it' might be a good adage to pay heed to.

thanks again for your valued help.

P.

I think the STI wheels of the same year would be the 114 PCD and yours is a 100 PCD.  If you wanted bigger wheels youd be safe with pre 2005 STI wheels.  Having said that the offset wont be that noticeable so you may still find they look a bit lost.   You would need to either get some spacers for the standard Subaru alloys or potentially aftermarket wheels with maybe a mid 40's offset.

But hey if your happy then leave it be.  As you say the Subaru guys picked it for a reason.

• Like 1

Thank you for your advice - 2 out of 2 people saying it's not a good idea is enough for me to base a balanced decision to leave things as they are. The last thing I want to do is to mess up the handling characteristics of a great car.

• Like 1

not saying its a bad idea necessarily - just what will fit and what wont - I get the need to fill out the arches a bit hence why I went with the  spacers myself :wink:

Doesn't sound like STI rims will fit from the same year - consider spacers to fill out the arches from a width perspective and retain your existing rims £180 for all four corners (I recently learned spacers are sold in pairs) or go for new alloys with a bigger offset, in this case you could opt for a larger diameter also for a firmer ride and again aesthetics - either way feel free to keep us posted  :smile:

• Like 1

Thanks again Jay - I never thought about other wheels to be honest, your photos of yours look good. I will have a look at aftermarket wheels that work in tandem with my cars set up. Cheers for your help and - nice car with tasteful mods you have. Thanks.

p

I have the same spec car as you, and I fitted some 18" prodrive GT1's- they made the ride slightly more harsh, but made the car feel that bit tighter and in my opinion improved the looks of the car 10 fold... I got mine from scoobyworld for a cracking price so couldn't really say no!

The only thing I will say is they have a high offset just like the standard wheels... I am toying with the idea of spacers myself but don't want to sacrifice the handling characteristics of the car for looks...

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi there I did reply yesterday but it did not seem to appear. Thank you for your advice, I think I shall do the same as you have. Your car looks really nice. I've just bought a rear diffuser and shall try to source a decent exhaust system too - nothing to rumbling, more of an Italian style note.

thanks for your time to comment and post images.

phil

Why thank you! I'm after a decent rear diffuser- which one have you gone for? As for the exhaust, it depends how far you want to go- I started off with a straight centre pipe (removes the original silencer) and a prodrive backbox- i've since added a louder UEL manifold for the 'scooby rumble' but have a video of the backbox and centre pipe if you want to see it

• Like 1

Hi there I went for this one - you can see who the seller is from the photos so should be easy to find on eBay. Exhaust - hmm, I really don't want the scooby rumble as I have tinnitus and that noise grates on me like fingers down a blackboard so I am keen to go for something Italian raspy sounding. There is a video on YouTube posted by a guy in South Africa - I will try to find it now. Found it. Ignore the rattling noise of the GoPro and watch it through. I don't have a snail on my car so I'm not trying to pretend it's something it's not - although I did just order the Subaru logo metal frame mud flaps and very keen to find some cheap Prodrive GT1 18's in silver, grey or champagne colour but then that is it.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

Think i'll get that diffuser! This was mine with just the backbox and centre pipe- fairly raspy and not too loud:

These are the guys I got the wheels from- still for the price I got them too: http://scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=314_45&products_id=3506

I'm in the same boat as you with the turbo but I just think the turbo scoop sets the car off a treat!

I just bought a roof scoop for mine which I will fit (but leave as dummy - too much rain and snow round GL postcodes!!), when I do the rally flaps and rear diffuser. I'll pass on the bonnet scoop - any more scoops and the kids will think I'm selling ice creams !!! My Lancia Delta Evo 2 was a combination of rally meets road so I'm trying to stick with the same theme with this car. For the exhaust, I'm sure I'll find that one but I really want a throaty rasp like an old fisherman after 20 capstan full strength !Removed! !! Haha

• Like 1

Awesome! Could you upload a pic of the scoop when fitted? I know exactly where you're coming from with the weather- i'm in Cheltenham myself! Good luck with the exhaust though buddy and let me know how your search for the perfect note goes :)

• Like 1

Hello Tom,

yes I will upload pics of the car once it's out of the garage repair centre - some gremlins in the engine right now that I am trying to get resolved. Just arrived via via postie is a roof scoop, some factory mud flaps and a full length rear diffuser so I'd like to fit all that stuff with the new wheels - yours look great on your car by the way.

p.

i was lucky enough to buy the wheels already on the car, so that cut out abit of extra spending, but i cant keep away from buying little things for the car now, its become a bug:bag:

no probs will look forward to seeing yours 

• Like 1

I wonder if there are any places that do used wheels like yours? The diffuser will go on tomorrow I think, so will the flaps if postie can be bothered to get out of bed - the roof scoop.....hmm I kind of wish I could wave a magic wand and come up with a solution that involves me not doing any work like cutting the roof - that's not going to happen, but if I fit it dummy then it's going to cause noise and probably fly off - eBay purchases late at night, not recommended !! Haha

• 2 weeks later...
On 13 February 2016 at 11:07 PM, HawkeyeLawrence said:

Awesome! Could you upload a pic of the scoop when fitted? I know exactly where you're coming from with the weather- i'm in Cheltenham myself! Good luck with the exhaust though buddy and let me know how your search for the perfect note goes :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Lawrence I've done a separate post but thought I would touch base with you in case you can help as you are local and been really helpful - I need a short engine for mine otherwise it's scrap - losing compression on 3 - the piston slap had gone terminal.cdont suppose you have one / know of one? Phil