Mrs fancies a (new to us) car.

Phil3822

Hi all, Mrs is thinking of a different car. Nothing expensive but she likes my Forester, she is looking for something big enough for kids, a bit of speed and decent safe handling. Of course, it has to be something I would want to drive as well. I see this eBay advert as below close to me, tempted to take a look. Not sure of the value. Tempted!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/subaru-legacy-3-0L-Type-R-Spec-B-/191831388032?hash=item2caa0aaf80:g:97sAAOSwvFZW7rQ6

I had an Impreza estate before my Forester. I nice classic one as pictured in my avatar. Money will go a lot further with the Legacy and its a fair bit bigger meaning better for a young family. I am a big chap as well meaning I prefer a bigger car. Still like Impreza estates but like the understated look.

Jay, my Mrs would see that as chavving it up. I have messaged the guy asking a few simple questions. Advert seems to indicate it was an insurance write off. No idea how this effects things in reality.

I had one of these...a great car. With it having the awp it will have heated front seats and large sunroof too. If it has a full history it should be fairly trouble free. Not super quick but pulls nicely if you drop it down a gear

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

That sounds like a good price, especially with relatively low mileage.

I used to own a Forester 2.5XT with PPP kit but unfortunately had to sell her due to unforeseen circumstances.

I now own a Legacy Spec B Estate which I find to be more refined and much quieter at cruising speeds. When I bought her she had a custom made ( noisy ) exhaust but now she has a much quieter CAT back Stainless system from Tony Banks.

My Legacy Spec B has the H6 engine and 6 speed STI type manual gearbox.

The engine is normally aspirated but has plenty of low down torque but really storms into  life above 3900 RPM.

The Spec B is averaging 27 MPG overall and can get around 32 MPG on a steady run which is good for a 3 litre petrol  lump constantly driving all four wheels The handling is excellent for an estate with Bilstein suspension I find much less body roll than the Forester which has more ground clearance.

One small thing that I find unusual is that on the Spec B the clutch engages high up on the pedal travel but there are no signs of slipping or wear. The previous owner said it had been like that for all the years that he had owned her. My other vehicles clutches engage much lower down.

The Forester XT definitely looked more sporty  and had better acceleration due to the excellent turbo but was quite noisy especially with the wind noise at cruising speeds.

Wouldn't mind having a try of a Spec B with a custom turbo fitted, must be good for 350 - 400 Bhp I imagine.

Good Luck and I hope that you choose a Legacy Spec B. Reliable, reasonable economy considering the specifications and a bit of a wolf in sheeps clothing

Hi both, thanks for your replies. David, are you talking about the Legacy or Forester?

I am tempted by the Legacy, he is wanting £2700 but I see no reserve so who knows. I would not want to pay that. I cant see it being that popular. I am not sure at the moment though. In many respects I would prefer an estate to a saloon although think it looks nice.

Was this classed as a Cat D or Cat C by the insurance companyarrow-10x10.png?

I personally wouldn't pay £2700 if it was a Cat C or D but might be worth watching and bidding, could go for much less than £2700

If you fancy a Legacy Estate have a look at this one but it may end up being above your planned budget:- 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBARU-LEGACY-SPEC-B-LOW-M-S-/121930869830?hash=item1c63a56c46:g:UmEAAOSwu1VW7v4y

Cheers David. I am thinking about it as I like the Forester. interesting your comments about the performance, don't expect it to be like the XT 2.5 though by any means. Whats economy like? I am not expecting much but interested. Thanks.

I got 33mpg over the 6 months I had mine - Jan-Jul. When I got it serviced and the oil replaced with a good quality 5/40 fully synthetic, I gained about an extra 2 mpg straight away. My engine had 136k on it by the time I traded it in but ran as smoothly and quietly as an enigine with only 36k on it.

Just check that it's been serviced regularly, had the cam belt replaced (at least once) and is generally well looked-after

Yeah, cheers. Notice the price has just reduced to 1695 which makes it more tempting. Mrs currently drives a 03 Mazda 6 2.0 with 79k on the clock. Not great on our country twisty roads to work in the winter. Also boot is big but not easy for our uses. Taller boot is a bit better although use my Forester when needed. Thanks.

Well that is enough to put me off. Was starting to prefer the NA Forester to be honest for the Mrs. Better boot for her. At the moment I am think neither though unless I can get the Forester for a steal. Appreciate the comments though.