Wading depth

lupus

I was close enough :) I did read one guy said he got through water just below his head light's with no problem but wouldn't want to risk trying anymore. I remember I tried once in a Ford Cortina Estate was about a foot deep it didn't end well :( wet feet and a stuck car :)

went to a network q rally in the 90's and parked car on the road side in a forest and when I came back the car was in a river LOL think about 20 of us ended with wet feet. worth it to warch colin and rich go though... :D

• Like 2

The engine air intake is just behind the bonnet / grill gap, and the alternator is on top of the engine so assuming your spark leads are properly sealed from the water the car should be able to go in headlight deep!

I'll let you know come winter how it went...

• 7 years later...

I've only ever had my Outback as high as the sills, but I am concerned about how well the spark plug caps seal. These days there are plenty of flooded roads around here so the last thing I want is to splutter to a standstill in the middle of one.😉    

• 9 months later...

Apparently you also have to be careful of the rear diff - the breather is low, and you may ahve to check/change the oil in it if you drown it. It is possible to extend it a bit higher.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/29/2021 at 11:15 AM, Pete_W said:

Apparently you also have to be careful of the rear diff - the breather is low, and you may ahve to check/change the oil in it if you drown it. It is possible to extend it a bit higher.

I was quoted, by the dealer, that the OB wading depth was 580mm.  He did have to get back to me with that info. after my question, so presumably he found a Subaru source? That's more than my old yeti (380mm) but obviously less than most 'full-on-' 4x4s which are usually 700mm and well above for some.  Having said that the Ssangyong Rexton is a pathetic 300 mm according to SSangyong GB source!!!

Rufford Ford webcams regularly show why it's ALWAYS best to avoid water... Sunk!

• 2 years later...

I have an XV and live in Suffolk which floods regular. I had a Peugeot 2008 which had a 150mm wading depth and was surprised that I could not find a published wading depth for the XV. I have driven through some flooded roads and bottled it a couple of times too. The dealer told me one customer flooded her XV and got water in both the cabin and gearbox.