Failed MOT!

joel12900

My 2002 Bugeye failed its MOT the other week on 10 things -_- but ive got half of them sorted now. One thing i had to get done was welding on my front sub frame. I took the car back to the garage the other day to fix the rest of the stuff but they said they cant pass the MOT cause the sub frame was in a grey area as its still slightly rusting and they know its been welded :/

My question is, does anyone know if it will be easier or cheaper to get another front sub frame fitted or to get it welded more. Enough just to pass its MOT??

Thanks.

I can understand where the mot tester is coming from, as if it's badly corroded in one place it's probably not as strong as needed elsewhere. A clean second hand subframe off a jdm of the same year would probably cost under £100 but I'm not sure how much it would cost to fit .

If it's not broke .....upgrade it 😊

The tester noticed i was part of SOC and said to ask on here. Cause I was thinking about maybe going back to the guy who welded it and seeing if he can do a little more, then take car to a different garage for its MOT and hopefully see if they pass it (Y) I literally cant really afford to buy another frame and fitting. I had a £850 repair in January, then i had to borrow money for my insurance for this year and welding to be done. And just bought a Cobra exhaust cause my exhaust now is blowing -_- Haha so its not really looking good.

I do need to get rid but i cant even afford that haha :( I had air ride put on the other month and thats on finance over 1 year ( Yes i know people dont like air on a Scooby but i like it ) Ive still got like 8 months left to pay -_- I am slowly trying to fix it up still.

By the time you have paid for a bit more welding and the cost of an MOT at an alternate garage that will be close on £100. I would hold out / save for the subframe replacement.

Example on evil bay at moment

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Subaru-impreza-WRX-STI-newage-bug-blob-howk-c-subframe/252332212172?_trksid=p2045573.c100034.m2102&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D35951%26meid%3Dc91fb77fc9a348289fc24b785dd2860a%26pid%3D100034%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D181995533674

A wire brush and some smoothrite before fitting should keep the rust away for a bit

Yeah im not ganna do that haha, cause im pretty sure you need it on! As thats one of the things they look at when testing as its a structual part of the car (Y)

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

i think you will find its a case of , if it's not there it can't be tested, rather like the spare wheel, most mot stations wouldn't even realise or even know, you don't need it to drive the car and lots of people take them off completely, have a Google, consensus is that they are there for extra crash protection, and from what I can gather the spec C cars do not have them fitted at all due to weight reduction 

• Like 2

It's a quickish job to swap a subframe on the ramp, I replaced mine it's just 8 bolts. You are looking at an hour maybe two tops. Got mine from the breakers for just under £50 so just ring round. Just to note the STI subframe has 2 extra bolt holes so try to avoid.

• Like 2

Think I picked mine up from g&r Harris breakers for 40 quid on my 03 blob, like you said, easy job, even moody looking bolts came out fine, did mine on jacks,  just had a thought...... If you had the plastic engine undertray on the car they wouldn't be able to see most of the c frame to mot it ?