tell me about FORESTERS

salsa-king

Thinking of getting rid of my Fiat Punto and getting a cheap run about Forester.. 

what should I be looking out for?

what does £500-£1000 get you

£1500 get you..

then upto £2k get you..

are they all sheds?

can you get a bargain on a used Forester that's in good nick and and not with stupid 120k+ miles!!!

tell me what you know.

Bargain foresters are rare, as said higher miles is not a great concern, see many at 200K and still fine order (it all down to use & quality of servicing/maintenance) .

SF models are better built than SG SG5

£800 can find good ones but rarely, 1000 to 2000 is more realistic but sort something before winter as they sell quick & for more money then.

SF before 2001 is cheaper tax, probably easier find 2003 or 2004 SG though, try buy AWP version as nice extras & sell on better too .

Be more concerned on looking at rear subframe & inner arch corrosion (SG inner arch rot quick as very thin steel compared to SF), dead suspension, dead clutch, odd tyre wear, transmission noises. I see many at 130K in fine health while some hard used 90K examples can be junk.

tnx guys,

what does SF and SG mean?

tbh.. I do 1500 miles a year, so something 100k miles if in great condition isn't going to get much wear from me.

lol

I want something to look of too.

Sf 1st gen 97-02 sg 02-05 ? Sh05-08 etc,

I got lucky with mine, found it down in Southampton and did a straight swap for my mx5. As with any 20 year old car she's needed a few bits, suspension 6 months later and a clutch last month, the rest has been cosmetic, done about 130thousand and apart from the exterior being a bit tatty (hail damage) I can't fault it, my local garage says that the underside is better than most 10 year old blobs &older bugs, she was imported in 2007 so has a part to play but the chap I got her off looked after it well

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

even 120k+ will do you, main thing is great condition so take time & don't rush a purchase.

auto foresters tend be easier find low mileage and generally tidier condition as get used by lot of mums & older people. had quite a few good priced auto SF models when I been looking. SF better looking in my opinion & one of toughest runs of cars Subaru done to date.

can you show me some SF ones then that look good??

Is auto box a problem?

My Fiat Punto is a Speedgear and TBH pottering about Auto is so much nicer to be doing town driving.

so a Forester would be better condition than a Blob estate for the same year?

Foresters are much more 'under the radar'....those who know, know.

It was my first scoob and I loved mine...just gave me the need for more ponies, which still drives me on now. Reckon the Foz I used to have will run forever if it continues to be serviced

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

can you show me some SF ones then that look good??

Is auto box a problem?

My Fiat Punto is a Speedgear and TBH pottering about Auto is so much nicer to be doing town driving.

so a Forester would be better condition than a Blob estate for the same year?

As in good looking or look good for the price ?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

both then lol

what's the model varients

I see

XE XT XTE XC

They are the SG variants...you can add XTEN to that list...all the xt variants are turbo, the rest normally aspirated

• 4 weeks later...

cus she thought i'd put a deposit down without asking her (well I nearly did but it wasn't worth the hassle) so I told her to get approval.. which took some time as she was fuming with me I wanted to buy another car when we have more important things to spend money on.

I said we need a bigger car so it's something for the family to enjoy ;)

now it's the cam belt question that's going round in her head.. has it been done or not in 2013 ... if not why not.... how can we tell, etc etc.

The car has only 39k miles on it!!!!!!!!

seeing it again in the morning so will go through the sericve book and find out when/who did the 2013 service and try and ring them to find out.

is it an expensive job to have done if we find it;s not been done?

Just shy of £400 for proper decent full kit fitted (OEM japan idler bearings & tensioner) such as Dayco or BluePrint . Not overly hard do yourself if into some wrenching work . Some times you better off doing belt once in ownership as can be sure it full kit & good quality, lot of dealers or on budget owners will just bang on a £45 belt and tell you it all been done A1 & you got warranty package too bla bla bla :-/

Not a deal breaker for right car, only thing I don't like about sports is no aw-pack & fuel economy poor for performance. do tend find few tidy ones though and they all later 2001 2002 SF so good solid build & tougher interior upholstery over the later models.

Try ICP, call or use website not eBay as prices higher via eBay, the Dayco belt kit is real good & better price than that ...
 I use Dayco mainly & never had issue yet, blueprint much same but pricing not always so good without trade account ...

Get mechanic check front crank seal for weeping & waterpump for dry seal leak port & bearing feel while in there, many do water pump regardless but at low miles & original pump it pointless as OEM pumps are good for over 150K in average road car scenario & fitting cheap aftermarket pump not great benefit. track cars slightly different scenario so pumps make more sense due to prolonged high rpm & heat soak but once again pointless unless using good Jap replacement pumps.

• Like 1