Coolant?

Hey folks,

Currently doing a bunch of research as I'm planning on doing a bunch of service stuff to my scooby myself... most of which I've never done before! So been doing plenty of research, watching youtube vids etc...

What I need to do:

Change coolant, gearbox/diff oil and maybe spark plugs if I'm feeling particularly brave.

While doing my research, I can find a general consensus for what oil and plugs to use... but not coolant. What do you guys use/recommend?

Also should I flush my system out first with some sort of gunk remover and distilled water first? Or just do a straight coolant swap?

Ta!

• Like 1

I had similar difficulties with coolant and ended up going with Subaru Super Coolant which was the only one people seemed to recommend. You only seem to beable to buy it from Subaru dealers, couldn't really find anywhere online which sells it cheaper.

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

@Sandals

37 minutes ago, Sandals said:

Hey folks,

Currently doing a bunch of research as I'm planning on doing a bunch of service stuff to my scooby myself... most of which I've never done before! So been doing plenty of research, watching youtube vids etc...

What I need to do:

Change coolant, gearbox/diff oil and maybe spark plugs if I'm feeling particularly brave.

While doing my research, I can find a general consensus for what oil and plugs to use... but not coolant. What do you guys use/recommend?

Also should I flush my system out first with some sort of gunk remover and distilled water first? Or just do a straight coolant swap?

Ta!

Ok i have changed the coolant myself and thus researched this quite a bit, what we need for out cars are NAP free coolants (Nitrate, Amine, Phosphate)

I personally use this:

fuchs fricofin £20 + £3 distilled water and bobs ur uncle. (makes 10L)

OR

Motul inguel £26 (makes 5L but i reckon our cars use 6.5l of coolant so ull need to buy 2)

As for gearbox/diff oil:

motul 300 £13 (2x for gearbox and 1x for diff).

spark plugs are easy as pie honestly if i can do them so can you, just need to take off airbox and windscreen washer box the trick to spark plugs is: around the metal threads put some copper antisieze and use some silicone grease on the coilpack circumference inside to make life easier for the next time.

Put in, tighten, once hand tight give it 1/4-1/2 turn and Ur done.

idk about coolant flush i just ran plain water in mine for a week and then drained it yolo

here is a video about flushing.

(I could be very wrong about this all so make sure you double check with someone)

• Like 2

Thanks for the info so far guys! I remember watching a vid of a guy doing spark plugs and so much stuff had to be taken off/removed to access them? If it's as easy as that then I'll probably give it a bash myself!

• Like 1

Thanks for the info so far guys! I remember watching a vid of a guy doing spark plugs and so much stuff had to be taken off/removed to access them? If it's as easy as that then I'll probably give it a bash myself!

It's pretty darn straightforward on our ej engines #boxerlife

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sandals said:

Excellent! Would rather do it myself than pay a garage to do it! :D

Ill help you as much as i can as i have some experience on this myself and also you will find this motivating and helpful.

6 hours ago, kayzarh said:

Ill help you as much as i can as i have some experience on this myself and also you will find this motivating and helpful.

Woooow! I'm sure I watched a different video that made it look a lot more complicated than that... cheers man!!

I was thinking about getting these plugs:

http://scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=47_176&products_id=1254

Should I go for Grade 6 or 7? I was thinking 7 since I'm getting the car remapped?

Ill help you as much as i can as i have some experience on this myself and also you will find 
 motivating and helpful.

Woooow! I'm sure I watched a different video that made it look a lot more complicated than that... cheers man!!

I was thinking about getting these plugs:

http://scoobyworld.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=47_176&products_id=1254

Should I go for Grade 6 or 7? I was thinking 7 since I'm getting the car remapped?

Is Ur scoob a 2.0 or 2.5?(those don't work on 2.5ers) I myself got NGK pfr6bs and to be honest I'm not sure so I'll leave that answer to someone else

7's would be better if your having the map

With regards to coolant types, just about every coolant is nap free these days, but I'd stick to an organic type as ethylene glycol coolants tend to eat water pump impellers after a while,

As for the flushing I just stick a hosepipe in the header tank and let it run for 10 mins with the bottom hose disconnected, never had any problems.

Subaru coolant is quite hard to come by these days my local dealer didn't have it when I enquired they just said analysis decent long life one would be OK

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

7's would be better if your having the map

With regards to coolant types, just about every coolant is nap free these days, but I'd stick to an organic type as ethylene glycol coolants tend to eat water pump impellers after a while,

As for the flushing I just stick a hosepipe in the header tank and let it run for 10 mins with the bottom hose disconnected, never had any problems.

Subaru coolant is quite hard to come by these days my local dealer didn't have it when I enquired they just said analysis decent long life one would be OK

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

So which one would you recommend?

What about monoethyleneglycol?

Mate, trust me! Go to Toyota dealership and ask for Antifreeze RED 5L, this is one of the best coolants in the world, already pre-mixed and I bet that Subaru will sell exactly the same antifreeze but with higher price tag. They last for over 5 years and you can add just distilled water if you need to top up, or get extra 2 litres (it's around 7 litres for a full flush), but you won't get everything out of the system anyway, unless you do it multiple times.

If the antifreeze hasn't been changed for years, I would advise to dump the old one and just fill the distilled water, drive for a week (make sure you always use the Heater at full blast and maximum possible temperature) when driving - thus to get rid of all the crap in the heater matrix. And then fill new coolant from Toyota!

I'm using it for my own Forester and it runs just fine.

• Like 2

Yes that's the one. I would rather get one from the Dealership, it's about the same price, but you'll get the original one and many online shops can sell a few year old antifreeze where is it's always better to get a fresh one -)

I found changing the spark plugs easy as long as you did it from above and have the correct length box spanner. I use Halfords pink OAT coolant. It's suitable for all aluminium engines.

Sent from my HTC Desire 510 using Tapatalk

• Like 2