my first impreza

rb5 161

evening everyone. my first ever post. just bought rb5 161. know nothing about the cars history, what its had done, best place to buy parts, what to check and look out for etc etc. any advice or info would be greatly accepted.  would love to get in touch with previous owners of the car to ask whats been done if it has any problems or things to look out for. also track down service history as i was told a previous owner has miss placed it. fingers crossed its been found.  any info at all regarding subarus in general, best place for parts and what the best makes or brands to go for example clutches, timing belts etc, also what maintenance and regular checks i should be doing. would love to go to my first ever car meet.  cant wait to get it back to looking how it should

hope to get to know some of yous soon

many thanks

greg

Hi n welcome to s.o.c, nice choice of scooby [emoji106]

If you've serviced you own cars before they're fairly easy to work on imo .

Well..... once you get familiar with the scooby lingo and the boxer layout that is [emoji5]

What county are you in greg? as it might help members know of reputable tuners or meets near by .

And pics , we like pics [emoji6]

If it's not broke .....upgrade it 😊

hi savage. yeh im fine with general maintenance, is there anything i should know about running an impreza? what to check regular, what to look out for etc

sunderland england mate

only 2 pics i found looking on google. its parked on drive and looks same as it does in my 2 photos ive just added. have a lot i want to do to it in the future, wheels from black back to standard, new clutch timing belt and water pump to be on safe side. full service, new oil in geabox dif engine, new filters brake lines etc

Sorry to sound negative, but would it not have been a good idea to find out this information before you bought it. It could end up costing you a small fortune.

Having said that, best thing to do is get yourself on the forums and join some groups. You'll find the Subaru community are generally a really helpful and friendly bunch

Sent from my iphone using Tapatalk

haha yes you sound very negative. if you read the first line its my first ever post and my first impreza. does not mean i dont know my cars or i have not researched them. i have hence why ive waited for the right car to restore. its helpfull advice i was after. eBay obviously have parts. ive came across jap performance parts, jap imports, asp trading not far from me. i was expecting some good feedback on other companys to check as i need a few little parts to put the car back to original spec looking wise and leave the engine upgrades as is

Keeping it relatively standard would help a rb5 hold it's value ,well that and keeping the rear arches and suspension turrets clean to keep the rust at bay .

As for service or oe parts most of us use "import car parts " I personally prefer to phone them and ask to speak to luke. As he knows his scooby bits and matches prices that you find elsewhere on the net [emoji6]

For fluids either speak to Tim @ "Opie oils" or pm him on here , as we get a club discount and he knows his stuff [emoji6]

Other than regular oil changes (every 5k ish) , letting it warm up and cool down before and after using boost and not bolting mods on without mapping . You should have a reliable car .

P.s I'm down in sunny Suffolk so can't help with tuners local to you but hopefully someone will be able to point you in the right direction.

If it's not broke .....upgrade it 😊

hello markd i have been on website before i bought car and paid to see full report. bit of a con really as it does not show the selling adds as piston heads gumtree etc must not keep the listing active for people to see. i have spent hours on google searching rb5 161, the original reg plate and the private plate it had for few years. found info about the upgrades its had, and also on some websites have seen photos and little info of past owners but thats it. a profile name on rb5oc.co.uk was named badger and badgerbell. but cant get his name to hopefully contact on facebook etc

once again thanks savage. i have researched oils to use and i will be using motul for everything, engine gearbox and dif.  i use motul in my 4 stroke mx bike and have done for years so i trust it being the best.  what ive found is its stage 2 and following work been listed on rb5oc website

Tek3 ECU, ITG filter, scoobysport downpipe & silencer, Brembo calipers with godspeed discs, DS2500 pads, Eibach springs, powerstation bumpsteer mod, clear front & side indicator lenses, Blitz turbo timer, STI front strut brace, smoked crystal front side lights, infinity speakers.

some tit has removed the brembos unfortunately ha, they are subaru calipers. solid discs which i want to upgrade (recommendations on what to buy would be helpful) looked at the Brembo discs either grooved or drilled. used to have ferodo ds2500 pads. still might be these pads but they all need replacing. again advice on what to buy would be great