Can someone explain what are these sensors and how to check if I have an EGR or not?

Paul_JJ

Hi all,

I have a an Impreza Engine in my 1997 Foreter EJ20G. Can someone advise what are these sensors for?

See the pics.

https://picasaweb.google.com/108629679967946639907/6312843687873547025?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCLSn1d2S9uekbg&feat=directlink

1st picture is a map sensor, but under it there is a 2nd sensor with a vac line which is going to the map... is that a 2nd map???

2nd picture - is under the map sensor.

3 - Under the air intake (close to MAF) what is that for?

4 - Denso MAP in the middle but what is next to and under it??????

5 - Something not far from the steering wheel close to the windscreen?

6 - Sensor next to a Battery blue wires are the ignition leads.

Thank you.

Paul

2 = is a change over value for the map to reed atmospheric pressure

3 = that's 1 of your ingetors

4 = the flat black box is the ignitor for the coil packs the round metal thing is your boost control solenoid

6 = 1 of your ingetors

Don't no wot 5 is

Pre 99 cars don't run map sensors only maf,

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

All turbo versions have a map and maf sensor ,it's the na that don't have a maf Afaik. The v1& v2 impreza map sensor maxes out at 1.2 bar so needs to be upgraded to the v3 onwards map sensor if you want to run more boost when getting a remap .

The sensor attached to the vac line off your map sensor is indeed a air density sensor .

Unsure if the v3/v4 ,with coil pack in the middle of the inlet, has a igniter although it does look like 1 in that pic behind the boost solinoid bracket. I just assumed they didn't use a igniter from v3 onwards due to only having the 1 coilpack and not having the individual coilpacks on the spark plugs. Also When fitting a newage coil pack conversion (to increase spark power on the weaker early classics ) you by pass the igniter .so i assume newage don't have a igniter either ? That's only a guess though as unfortunately, I haven't got a v3 anymore to double check for you .

I've got a few spare pre v5 sensors at home dunno how close to Suffolk you are ?

But if your close enough, your welcome to try swapping a few over ,re setting the ecu and taking it for a spin to see if the codes come back [emoji6]

If it's not broke .....upgrade it 😊

Stants I've seen Map sensors on the turbo cars from 80s -) so they're around for a while. I just didn't now that there is a Air Density sensor as well.

Can anyone advise on the picture 5? It's not far from the suspension strut, close to the wiper blades/windscreen area - does anyone have any of that?

I feel like my MAP might be playing up, now I have to take in to account that it could be the Air Density sensor as well. As oft he igniter I've no idea what is this for and what to look for in case it goes bad. 

Also how do I check if my car has the EGR or not? As this often needs cleaning.

I thank you for a kind offer, I'm actually very far from Suffolk at the moment -) What I could do however give you deposit you ask for the sensors and you could post them to me. Try them on and if not needed I will post them back, if needed I can buy them off you, but let's check the part numbers first!

I want to check:

MAP

MAP Air Density

TPS

Camshaft sensor

I already replaced the following:

Lambda

MAF

Knock Sensor

PCV Valve

Crankshaft sensor (this was used)

Coolant to ECU sensor

Alternator was replaced as well.

If it's not one of these sensors I will have to replace the whole !Removed! gearbox, even though it works fine, also the rear diff started to make some noise at 60mph+ every so often. There is also a rear kick sometimes - but not too often.

The error code is really confusing it might not show up for a week....... then the next day I start the car it's there. Once it didn't show up for a month.... Usually it's more often to see the error during the rain (cold start) but after about 5 miles of driving I can stop turn the engine off and back on and the error will clear itself....

Just had a look at pic 5 and sorry I've never seen 1 on a manual impreza classic before .

The igniter creates a high amp spark that is sent to the individual coilpacks on top of each spark plug on the early classics. Hence why the newage single coil packs are better as they create the high amp signal directly on top of the plugs , so no power is lost while the current is passing through the engine loom (like on the early classic set up ) .

That's also why I assumed that the v3 onwards didn't have a igniter, as I'd thought the high amp spark was created by the single coilpack on the inlet and flows through the ht leads. I could well be wrong though as it definitely that looks like a igniter (flat sensor just under the boost solinoid) .

I'll have a squint through my scooby scraps boxes and see what sensors I've got once I'm back home and settled .

If it's not broke .....upgrade it 😊

Pic 5 looks like a jecs map sensor for original engine (take part numbers off it & google them)

igniter job is controlling voltage pulse to the primary winding of coilpacks.

biggest area of fault on those ignitions was igniter unit itself or wiring/plug harness or coilpacks split/insulation failing .

On 7/31/2016 at 8:58 AM, Mr B said:

Pic 5 looks like a jecs map sensor for original engine (take part numbers off it & google them)

igniter job is controlling voltage pulse to the primary winding of coilpacks.

biggest area of fault on those ignitions was igniter unit itself or wiring/plug harness or coilpacks split/insulation failing .

Can you circle on the pictures what exactly was the biggest issue and I should look at? I've got an error which comes and goes and I'm trying to determine a sensor which is playing up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Doing a research for the Number 2 it turned out to be related to EGR (which I do have indeed), it's a solenoid valve

s-l1600.jpg

Therefore I have a question - how to clean EGR if possible at all?