McRae Tribute

Gambit

Well I contacted Prodrive about a possible attempt to try beat the 2008 one they did but unfortunately they don't fancy doing it. here's the reply. 

"Hi Pete, I was there, indeed it was me who was lining up the cars to spell his name! I think this was a one off tribute. A year on from his death, it was such an amazing event with such an incredible turnout following the convoy down to Banbury from Scotland that we could not and probably should not try to replicate it. For all those that took part, I am sure, it will remain in everyone memories for rest of their lives and was the best possible tribute to such an incredibly popular driver. "

I know thats the only problem. Santa Pod is normally really good for doing stuff like this. need some sorting out and seeing what cost be involved and get the other clubs on board too. Pretty sure there will be a lot of interest 

• 2 months later...

Pete - it's a shame that Prodrive are not willing to do this for 2017, 10 years after his death. 

If you recall though, when they did this 1 year after in 2008, it was a convenient point of time (the weekend after the bank holiday weekend) and not actually strictly 1 year later. They have a better chance next year to get closer to an anniversary as the 17th Sept is a Friday. Still not convenient, but the following day/weekend is close.

What you might find is that once the ball is rolling about a big'un getting off the ground, Prodrive might get in on the act. I have been down that road before with Ford and Capri anniversary. Where there was reluctance to do something initially and I said I would do something personally, they then jumped on board, as it was a good idea after all. 

That was a hell of a weekend, that anniversary in 2008. Shall we just remind ourselves of the enormity of it ? I video'd this from a bridge over the M40, just north of the Banbury junction. It's slow to gather momentum at first but then you get the full force of Scoobies. I have never seen anything like it. Obviously it's quite dry as footage goes so I wouldn't expect you to watch more than 5 mins of it. It was immense being there that day.

• Like 1

Agreed mate it's a shame. As I said I respect the decision and they also don't have the same premises now and it's much smaller, so I've been told not been to the new place yet. I wasn't meaning for them to recreate the drive down maybe just try beat the mosaic with the cars and make it bigger if possible. :biggrin: But I've seen some great pictures posted of the day which brought back good memory of that horrible lane :laugh: