wheel issue on 08 wrx

Hi can anyone help I've just changed from 17 inch alloys to 18inch and it's like it affecting front diff because it's clonking and when I put 17inch alloys on it stops local garage baffled you only need to be going over 5mph and it starts clonking even in reverse it's like car doesn't like them

I've put on 225x40x18 sorry for taking so long to reply was away all weekend my mate had an 08 hatch the same as mine but had no problems with 18s on but they were on when he bought it is there anyway to fix it

Edited by craigieboy46

I had 18's on my Sti with no issues - the manual did say you would get some noise from the diff on occasion but I was never as extreme as you describe - what size are the tyres on your 17's?

But it does its so bad you don't get out of first gear my mate has 245 x40 x18 so go in to try them tomorrow if that doesn't work will have to try n sell wheels there new with new tyres so hopefully get them sold I'm booked in for remap on Thursday so hope it works better than changing wheels lol never had this hassle with wheels before and this is my 5th subaru

Know it won't help but I have 18's on my 08 wrx. I copied the sizing of the wheels and tyres from the wrx-s. haven't haven't had anything would call clunking from the diff or anywhere that I could spot.

My brother had bad noise coming from his car after he had put some new tyres on,could not figure out what it was but we decided to go back to tyre shop and see if they had ballanced them up right.turned out 1 of the new tyres they put on was out of shape,they changed tyre and was as good as new.maybe its something like that.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Could 1 of the alloys be out of shape,are they brand new alloys or second hand,even if their brand new could have a defect in 1 off them.and as @zander said the wrxs has 18s on so got to be defect tyre or wheel somethin like that .

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

They are a bit heavier and dished out unlike the standard wheels which are flush someone said to the wife today that i should put them on and check allignment if they stick out further than the standard but dont see that making a difference 

Could be a offset issue these companies sell some weird offsets and list them for cars have a good look on the wheel should be stamped somewhere i,ve seen them listed in the 30s for offset and origanls are in the 50s so can put a stain on components..

• 3 weeks later...

Are you lowered ? Also you are defiantly clearing the breaks ? Are you running spacers ? Also is it a steady clonk when going strait is it when turning ? Does it get quicker wen turning. Could be all those things also could be drive shafts or wheel bearings

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using Tapatalk