Cooling system issues

The Diggerz

Hi guys.. I'm new to this forum and haven't got the foggiest idea how it all works so please excuse me.. 

i need to pick your brains.. ive got a 51 wrx wagon, I had a new radiator fitted a month ago as the previous had split.. everything has been fine.. until yesterday when I was driving home i noticed it starting to overheat.. I had nowhere to pull over so switched the heaters on full and it settled again.. managed to get home etc.. opened the header tank this morning it was vacuumed sealed and "popped" off with a pull.. it was half full so I've topped it up again.. run engine with cap off squeezing hoses to remove air etc.. but it feels like the time hose has minimal water through it.. any ideas?? 

Thanks in advance 

Hi Diggerz and welcome. Check that the pipe into the expansion tank (the plastic one) is not blocked. You can get fungus in there that will block it and cause problems.

Sent from my HTC Desire 530 using Tapatalk

Yes.. thermostat would be my next port of call.. for the sake of a few quid I'll replace it for piece of mind.. people have mentioned there is a high flow stat available which works better. Unfortunately I can't get one today as nowhere is open

Scoobies do tend to get airlocks when the coolant system gets refilled. Sometimes jacking the front up and running it up till the fans cut in helps to get rid of air locks .

I know how to bleed a classic system but unsure about newage as they have a extra cap on the rad .

Hopefully someone who knows will be along to help with the newage bleeding.

If the thermostat is blocking the flow, the bottom rad hose will feel much colder than the top hose . As the bottom hose connects directly to the thermostat housing [emoji6]

Burping a newage, jack car up as high as possible at the front ! get a juice bottle and cut the bottom off and fit the lid end into your top little water tank not the radiator, you now have a funnel type affair (could actually use a funnel I spose) sticking out of the little tank (make sure it's got a good seal in the tank, tape it if you have to, now fill engine through juice bottle so that you end up with 6-8 inches of fluid in the bottle higher than the tank, start car and run to thermostat open, then Rev car up down a lot hold revs at 2000 a half dozen times al the while going round the engine squeezing all the bigger water hoses to move bubbles (watch out for moving parts that remove fingers), this worked perfect for me after engine out and back in, make sure heaters on full also at all times 

make sure there always 6-8 inches of fluid in bottle so as bubbles come out fluid can replace, don't let water get low and draw air in