definitive guide to knock

stants

As there anywhere that has a comprehensive gude to subaru knock ?

I've searched and many different things and peope have said this and that.

I'm prob being paranoid but as the baby due date approaches i keep hearing more and more little noises that are making my wallet wince.

She's always slapped a little on start up and goes away once warm but the last couple of days the slap has gone away but she sheems to be a little louder and there is a little rythmical clatter which hasn't gone away. My daily commute is only 2 miles and i've been driving this week due to running around. Maube she's not warm enough, or sounding different due to the damp weather.

Boosts fine and no horrible noises around 2k and above

• 4 weeks later...

if you look on you tube there are plenty of vids to show you what it sounds like, mine knocks a little when going up hill in a high gear but that's all it seems to do, mines on 153k and boosts very well to 1.3bar no other unusual sounds

Cheers,

I've googled it and it sounds like slap as opposed to knock. It's always gone away/been alot quieter after 5 mins. Did a 150 mile round trip yesterday and drove perfectly.

Now the temp outside is starting to drop it's just taking longer to go away

Yeah mate, had a nice trip to hospital at half one this morning got in just after 5 due to bad tummy pains all ok though.

Booked in for the 3rd c section due to breach and other things so it's all go. Still manage to get half of ikea in the back of the car last week :O

Haha i'll prob be booing me eyes out, still at least with the section i won't have to worry about what he bottom half looks like during the birth :-(

Cheers mate will pm you later.

Got my eyes on a set of speedlines at the mo on the bay so i'm treading carefully so i don't rub her up the wrong way ( they are dirt cheap i just have my reservations on 'some kerbing damage' ) don't think hi love i'm just off to london to buy some non essential wheels would go down too well a week before the birth :-)

i'm 6' 5" 18 stone and have a shaved head and goatee, people say i look similar to stone cold Steve Austin the wrestler, i have 4 kids in total with 3 women, i cried at every single birth ;) nothing to be ashamed of, it's one of the most emotional things a man can ever experience

When they're babies you can't wait for them to start walking and talking, when they do you wish they were babies again, it's all worth it though

I forgot to say before, what oil is in the engine at the moment? Now we're heading for the cold it's a good idea to have a 40 weight rather than a heavier 60 weight, the heavier is good when it's warm but could put too much strain on the internals when cold, always start the car with the clutch in when cold as this puts less strain on cranking when the oils thickest, also the knocking and slapping is basically the same noise, its louder when the big end bearings go as there excess movement on the rods causing them to flail about

Back on topic Haha. As for oil i don't know without giving the garage who serviced it a bell. I was gonna do soon as will need a drop in at some point. I presume it's 5/30

Thanks for clearing the definitions up i would have been trying to search for knock and slap and going round and round for ever.

So what we're saying if it sounds a bit tinny on start up then goes away/quiet it's not so bad, full on chatter all the time i'll be looking at a bottom end re build sooner rather than later.

As for start up and warming up/down it's always started with clutch depressed then idle for at least 5 mins maybe more untill the rpm drops to 750ish.

And 30 sec to a min cool down even when pottering around off boost more if i've been leathering it

To be fair there prob is a spanner in mine somewhere along with the crows foot haha.

That's loud mine doesn't sound half as bad as that when it's cranked and once warm sounds ok, i would have posted vid but no idea how to lol

• Like 1

Ah ok i don't even have a youtube account. Besides i've just looked at the vid i took and it's rubbish as i've held th camera too close and all it sounds like is it clattering to death not a propper representation of the sound. Thanks to everyone on here and the advice i'm sure i'm just worring over nothing :O

that's basically what i was saying, the higher weight isn't always good in the colder weather and it's gonna be in there over winter so i'd use 10/40 fully syn over the winter months, as for the noise, this is the first subie i have had and i was coming up a hill at 40mph one day in 5th and everytime i went past a high side i could hear my engine knocking, i dropped a gear and it was fine, back up to 5th and heard it again, went into asda car park and had the boonnet up listening at different revs and it seemed fine, turned out it was a chunk of heat shield that had rusted through where the nuts were and was sitting on the manifold, it only rattled when the engine was more prone to wobble i.e. at 40mph in 5th up a hill, makes you worry though when you first hear it, but yeh mines always noisy when first fired up, goes when warm, typical subie noise i think and i wouldn't worry too much